A few weeks ago I was making Tortillas Con Huevo and casually shared them on my Instagram Stories. As I was adding in the eggs to my already crispy tortilla pieces I remembered an incident that had happened many moons ago. My uncle’s friend had come over to our house in City Terrace and asked upon stepping into our casa “Are you guys cooking Tortillas Con Huevo?” He said it like he wasn’t sure if that’s what it’s called, almost with a puzzled look on his face. In that instant I realized this thrown together heavenly breakfast is nameless.
I decided to ask my friends via IG stories if they make a crispy tortilla dressed in egg breakfast in their homes, and if so, what do they call it? I couldn’t believe the response this one question garnered. It was wild, everyone had different names for this meal. I quickly gathered all my friends from Texas called it “Migas” and all my Chicana friends who grew up in Los Angeles called them “Tortillas Con Huevo.” I had one person refer to them as “HEAVEN” and I can agree with that too. Then I had a whole group of people calling it “Tortillitas De Huevo” I had never heard of that one, and others called them “Chilaquiles Sin Chile.” You could also add “Sopas” and “Sopitas De Huevo.”
The list went on and on and the names kept rolling in. I walked away recognizing this dish doesn’t really have a proper name, yet everyone feels so passionate about what it’s called. The common thread that was evident is we all love this simple comforting meal no matter what it’s called. I have to ask, what do you call it?
Ingredients for Tortillas Con Huevo:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium high flame. Allow oil to get hot.
- Cut tortilla into 1 inch squares or triangles.
- Place tortilla pieces in hot oil and fry until golden CRISP. This will take about 5 minutes on each side. Fry in batches.
- Remove tortilla pieces from pan with a spatula and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Pour out excess amount of oil from pan, leaving a tablespoon of oil in pan.
- Place pan back on flame and add in onions. Sauté onions for about 3 minutes or until limp.
- Crack eggs in a bowl and whisk until scrambled. Set to the side.
- Add tortilla pieces back in the pan with onions and mix to combine.
- Drizzle whisked eggs over tortilla pieces, pouring them evenly over the mixture.
- Mix with a spatula and cook eggs for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with queso fresco, avocado, beans, jalapeno slices or/and salsa, and crema.
Loving the Breakfast vibe… try my enchilada casserole!