Mushroom Onion Vegan Pozole Rojo for those of you who had one to many drinks last night. It’s the perfect plant based cure for the crudo head spins. This lovely vegan pozole rojo is made up of delicious red chile broth and laced with hominy, mushrooms and sauteed onions. I hope you’ll dig in.
Ingredients for Mushroom Onion Vegan Pozole Rojo:
- 2 California chiles
- 3 guajillo chiles
- 2 ancho chiles
- 2 cascabel chiles
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves
- 2 white onion ( 1 onion will be cut into 1/4 inch slices. Reserve 1/4 for topping the pozole, and the other 3/4 of the onion will be used for the chile. The other entire onion will be used for the pozole soup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 48 oz. vegetable broth
- 6 cups hominy (3 – 29 oz cans) , drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs baby bella mushrooms (each mushroom cut in half)
- chopped onion
- diced radish
- sliced cabbage
- chili flakes
- Remove stems and seeds from all chiles.
- Boil chiles in a pot for 30 minutes. Remove from flame and reserve water chiles boiled in.
- Add re-hydrated chiles, garlic cloves, 3/4 of onion, salt and 1 1/2 cups of water the chiles boiled in to a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour chiles through sieve and with the back of a spoon swirl until all chile is collected in a bowl and the seeds and skin remain in the sieve.
- In a large pot over a medium flame add olive oil and allow to get hot. Add in sliced onion and sauté for 10 minutes or until onion slices are limp.
- Add in vegetable broth, hominy (reserve 2 cups), and chile. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Place two cups of hominy in a blender. Blend until smooth then pour back into pot. This help thicken the broth just slightly giving it a heartier taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place mushrooms on a baking sheet and drizzle with tablespoon olive oil, and salt to taste. Mix with hands and spread out evenly. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Add roasted mushrooms to soup.
- Allow soup to continue to simmer for 10 minutes, then serve.
- Garnish with any of the fixings above!
Try my Cauliflower Pozole Verde…. it’s plant based too!