Are you getting ready for the holidays? I like to cozy up to a nice cup of hot chocolate every time the moment presents itself. Just got home from holiday shopping at Walmart? A cup of hot chocolate. Gonna decorate the tree? A cup of hot chocolate. Baking cookies? A cup of hot chocolate. Christmas morning? You get the picture. My grandfather always sipped on a cup of hot chocolate during the holidays growing up and I followed suit, except this year I wanted to make it more interactive for my son, and possibly give my hot chocolate away as a gift. I thought “how can I transform that holiday magic from my cup into gifts for my family and friends?” I decided to make hot chocolate cubes, that could be stirred into a cup of hot milk, and or be eaten as a lollipop. Wrap them up and tie them with a bow.
Ingredients for hot chocolate cubes:
- Chocolate chips or pieces (semi sweet, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white)
- Silicone ice cube tray
- mini marshmallows
- candy cane sticks
- christmas sprinkles
- lollipop sticks
- In a double boiler melt chocolate. (If you don’t have a double boiler: place water in a pot over a high flame then place a metal bowl over the boiling water in the pot and put the chocolate in there, stir till melted.)
- Pour melted chocolate into silicone ice trays (fill 3/4 of the way up) and place in the fridge for 25 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and insert candy cane sticks, decorate with marshmallows, sprinkles, and for the cubes without a candy cane stick insert a lollipop stick.
- Place back in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and let sit for 5 minutes, then carefully push them out of the silicone ice cube tray.
- If you wrap them up they work great…
- Or stir one into a cup of hot milk and embrace the warm chocolate beverage. They’re great for coffee as well.