It’s Not Summer Until You Have A Watermelon Margarita! Follow It Up With 7 Wonderful Watermelon Recipes
Watermelon – I can’t even say the word or even think it without a flood of images and memories shooting through my mind. It’s funny because as a child I wouldn’t eat it because I hated the laborious task of having to take out the seeds. Then came along the genius seedless watermelon. Since then I’m all over it, and have had a mad amour with the fleshy red fruit. I have many watermelon recipes here on my blog t0 prove it! To tell you the truth, in my opinion, it makes for the perfect Summer after-dinner dessert, or drink / agua, or salad, or eat while you watch t.v., or anything else you might fancy it in. I must mention I use to sing in a band many moons ago called “Boca De Sandía” ( which means “Watermelon Mouth” in spanish), and I only have glorious memories as the front person of a band with such a cool name. Yes, I’m consistent with what I like. I have always incorporated food into my art or music. Who nows, maybe it was the influence of Frida Kahlo’s piece “Viva La Vida” (pictured below) that got me so into watermelon and in turn inspired me to name my band that. All I know is I’m here today and I love me some sandía.
I decided as a way to welcome in Summer, I was going to make myself a nice Watermelon margarita and revisit some of the other sandía recipes I have here on my blog. Heck, I’m even going to showcase a few ideas from my friends. Get the recipe for my Watermelon margarita below and/or check out a handful of other wonderful watermelon recipes. Stick around for tips on how to pick the perfect watermelon video. We are all ready for watermelon and Walmart is the place to buy them. That’s where I got mine and they’re super sweet, seedless, and 100% fresh guaranteed or your money back!
Ingredients for watermelon margaritas:
- 1 – small lemon
- 1 – small lime
- 1/3 – cup sugar
- 1 – small seedless watermelon
- 1/2 – cup tequila
- 7 – cups ice
- optional: sugar, or salt, or tajin
- 2 – strawberries
- Cut the peeling off both the lemon and lime, and place the peelings in a glass. Pour the sugar over the peelings. Then squeeze the inner flesh of the lime over the sugar. Set to the side for 1 hour. This will make a citrus syrup.
- Cut watermelon in half. With a large spoon, scoop out the inside of the watermelon. You will now have two watermelon shells, that can be used as cups.
- Place all the insides of the watermelon into a blender.
- Place a strainer on top of the blender then pour the citrus syrup through the strainer, catching all the citrus peel.
- Now pour the tequila through the strainer on top of the citrus peel. This will remove any sugar left on the peel.
- Remove the strainer from the top of the blender and place lid on top. Blend watermelon mixture till smooth.
- Then add ice to blender and blend again till frosty smooth.
- Dip watermelon shell in either sugar, salt or tajin to rim the edges. I used tajin.
- Pour margarita into the center.
- Garnish with strawberries, lemon slices, and mint.
MORE WATERMELON RECIPES:
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW ON HOW TO PICK A GREAT WATERMELON!!!!!