I have always been intimidated by pastel de tres leches. It is my cake of choice for every birthday I celebrate and happens to be one of my favorites. I like it topped with fresh fruit best. I decided to gift it to America for it Independence Day celebration.
Ingredients for Pastel De Tres Leches:
- a box of cake mix (white or yellow) (bake according to instructions- time, temp, and ingredients)
- 3/4 – cup of fresh blueberries
- circle cookie cutter (optional)
- 1/2 – cup half and half
- 1 – cup milk
- 6 – ounces of sweetened condensed milk
- cool whip
- fresh strawberries cut into star shapes and blueberries for the top of cake
- Mix cake batter per instructions on the package, then add in blueberries. Pour batter into a 9×13 baking pan lined with wax paper. Allow to come to room temperature. Then place in the fridge over night.
- Poke cake all over with fork to allow liquid to soak into cake.
- In a bowl add half and half, milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix to combine.
- Then gently pour all the liquid over the entire cake or cut the cake with a circle cookie cutter to make individual circles.
- Frost top of cake with cool whip and then decorate with star shaped strawberries and blueberries.