Potato Chip Mac and Cheese is the recipe my friends have been requesting since before I even started my website. This is the one I turn to when I wanna overindulge. It’s holiday table worthy and extraordinary for an ‘any-day’ food hug. This recipe has a way of making you feel like you just chatted with your oldest friend. I pull out of my hat when I’m feeling a need for pure comfort or a bowl of cheesy happiness that words just can’t pinpoint….. I’d much rather let my potato chip mac and cheese say it for me, and it does.
Ingredients for Potato Chip Mac and cheese:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoning salt plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon black pepper plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 pound macaroni (I use Barilla)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (white part only)
- 1/4 cup torn pieces of fresh basil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup jack cheese (cubed)
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 stick butter plus extra to butter your baking dish.
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 quart half and half
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 oz. parmesan cheese
- 1 bag potato chips (crush entire bag)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large pot bring water to a rolling boil and cook pasta al dente according to package. Drain and set to the side.
- In a frying pan, pour in olive oil over a medium high flame and allow oil to get really hot, then toss in cherry tomatoes with 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Saute on each side for 4 minutes. Then take off flame and set to the side.
- In a big bowl combine sauteed cherry tomatoes, green onion, fresh basil, and cooked drained pasta. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Next add in the cheddar cheese, gruyere cheese, and jack cheese cubes. Mix to distribute evenly.
- Transfer pasta and cheese mixture to a 9 x 13 glass buttered baking dish. Then sprinkle seasoning over the top with 1 tablespoon Lawry’s, 1 tablespoon black pepper, and chili flakes.
Let’s get it all creamy!
- Making the cream is easy. In a big pan, over a medium flame, add butter and allow to melt.
- Add garlic to melted butter and allow to sauté for 2 minutes. Mix mustard in until dissolved, then add in half and half.
- Bring butter/cream mixture to a slight boil then add in parmesan cheese. Pull off flame and pour into your pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with potato chip crumbs. Gently press down on the top of the crumbs. Place in the oven for 50 minutes, or until golden brown.
Need a salad now? Try my Asparagus citrus salad!