It’s time to get back to life, and I’m gonna jump right into SUMMER with zero hesitation. For me and my friends there is nothing better than noshing on little snacks while picnic-ing, and diving deep into conversation sharing our intimate chronicles. Gawd, I’ve missed my bonding time with my pals.
We definitely consider ourselves connoisseurs of the tastiest snacks and anything on a stick is not only welcomed to our chatter huddle picnic but up for dissection. Me knowing this about my buddies encourages my creativity to dream up something special for them. In this case, melty Manchego and Membrillo sticks. I looked for the ‘Real California Milk’ seal when seeking out my Manchego cheese for this creation. I’m a devoted fan of Real California Milk products because they are sustainably sourced and made with milk from California dairy farm families. Yes, I know I’m getting the best and can #SnackHappy !
Last week I hosted my lovely amigas over for a much needed picnic afternoon. I made them my melty manchego and membrillo sticks drizzled in a honey crema. They were truly taken by how incredibly delicious our little snacks turned out. We gobbled them down and began dreaming of when we can meet and eat them again.
Talk to me…. What’s your favorite dairy based snack to enjoy over summer? I’ll tell you this… I’ll continue to share my favorite dairy snacks once a month in exchange of hearing yours…. I’m all ears!
Ingredients for Manchego And Membrillo Stick:
- 10 oz. Manchego – made with #RealCaliforniaMilk (look for the seal)
- 4 oz membrillo fruit paste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups fine bread crumbs (plain)
- sticks (for popsicles)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Crema Mexicana – made with Real California Milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Cut Manchego and Membrillo fruit paste into 1 inch strips. Then slice the manchego cheese down the middle to be able to sandwich a slice of membrillo fruit paste in between 2 slices of Manchego. Stack one slice of manchego, then add a slice of quince fruit paste, and top with another slice of manchego.
- Stick a toothpick through the stack, and set to the side.
- In a small bowl beat egg.
- Place flour in a bowl, then dip one cheese stack at a time in the flour to coat. Use the toothpick on either side of the stack to help to coat evenly.
- Dip floured stack in beaten egg.
- Then dredge the stacks into the bread crumbs.
- Dip into the egg mixture again, and then for the final time in the bread crumbs.
- Lay on a tray and repeat until all stacks which now resemble sticks are finished.
- Place tray in freezer while you warm up the oil.
- In a heavy sauce pan or dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry each stack/stick for a minute or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Carefully pull toothpicks out, and if you’d like stick a popsicle stick into the bottom for easy handling.
- Whisk Crema Mexicana and honey together in a small bowl until combined. Serve with honey crema mixture for dipping.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating.
For more delicious snack inspiration visit the Real California Milk website: https://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/recipes/