Rainbow Gelatina For Pride: I am a woman who stands in solidarity with the LGBTQ community. I was once a very young girl who stood in the same head space of loving, supporting, celebrating, and defending gay rights (as they were called in the 90’s). Nothing has changed. This is not a passing fancy for me and it’s not something I do to be on trend. I will always be an ally to my LGBTQ friends and family.
Thinking of my formative years and how much the LGBTQ community not only took me under their wing but opened my eyes to the Arts, fashion, food, passion, the fight for equality, and music. I gained the confidence to express myself freely without judgement at a young age thanks to my gay uncle who lived by the same rules and made it perfectly fine to be who we are. Love is love. Let’s celebrate with this rainbow gelatina now, today, tomorrow, and always. <3
Ingredients for Rainbow Gelatina:
- non stick cooking spray
- 12 cup metal bundt pan
- 6 – 6oz boxed jello mix (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple)
- boiling hot water
- 4 individual packets of Knox gelatin
- 2 cans of La Lechera (sweetened condensed milk)
- 12 bowls
- Divide up 6 of the jello mixes, by cutting open each bag and scooping out 1/4 of a cup of jello mix from each color and placing them each in their own bowl. Set the rest of the jello powder to the side.
- Then in each bowl that already has 1/4 cup of jello powder add in 1 teaspoon of Knox gelatin. Set to the side. You should have a total of 6 bowls at this point.
- Add 2/3 cup of hot boiling water to each bowl and mix until gelatin is completely dissolved. Then add in 1/3 cup of La Lechera to each bowl and mix well. Set to the side.
- With the remaining jello powder from the 6 packets you opened, add each color to it own bowl it should measure out to a little over 1/2 cup, then add 1/2 teaspoon knox gelatin to each of the jello powders. Mix well to combine. Then add 1- cup boiling hot water to each bowl and mix well until jello is completely dissolved. Set to the side.
- Spray your bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Now for the fun part…. choose the order of color you want your jello mold to stack in. Then pour your first color in and quickly place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the first layer is chilling/firming up this gives the other colors plenty of time to come to room temperature. Remove the gelatina from the fridge. You will know if the first layer is done by pressing on the top…. if your finger print is left in the top then you are safe to add the next layer. Gently pour in the next layer and place back in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and add the next layer, place back in the fridge for 20 minutes. There is a 20 minute wait time between layers if the jello mixtures have come to room temperature. Continue to do this till all layers are in the pan, then let it set overnight.
- The un-molding of the pan can get a little tricky so read carefully. First with both hands gently pull jello away from the wall of your bundt pan. Work your way all the way around little by little. Don’t forget the center. Then in a big bowl fill it up with warm/hot water and slowly glide the bundt pan into the water bath and let it rest there for 10 to 15 seconds. You will see the insides of the bundt pan become slightly moist… this is the sign you are looking for. Remove pan from water and dry it off with a towel. Then place a plate on top of the pan and flip it over onto the plate. You will hear a plop…. gently remove the pan and you will have a beautiful and delicious gelatina. Place it back in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow it to firm up again.