This post has been sponsored by NESTLÉ® LA LECHERA® and NESTLÉ® ABUELITA. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’m not one to toot my own horn, but these Mexican Chocolate Tres Leches Cupcakes are so divinely delicious, they deserve to be celebrated by ALL this holiday season! I was shopping the Hispanic aisle at Walmart and spied a box of NESTLÉ® ABUELITA sitting next to NESTLÉ® LA LECHERA® . It was like all the pieces of the puzzle came together at once in my mind and I thought I should make a batch of Abuelita Chocolate Tres Leches cupcakes. I wanted that unmistakable taste of authentic Mexican hot chocolate with a unique cinnamon touch for my Tres Leches cupcakes. Then I quickly thought of the creamy consistency, and sweet, luscious texture of La Lechera sweetened condensed milk and knew this would be my milk base. I made individual cupcakes for easy packaging and sharing with loved ones over the holidays, because ultimately that’s what it’s all about!
Shop at Walmart, in the Hispanic aisle, for all the ingredients for these fabulous Mexican Chocolate Tres Leches Cupcakes. Plus you can earn cash back with Ibotta when you buy Abuelita and La Lechera at Walmart now! I found everything I needed there, including cupcake liners and sprinkles. Happy Holidays. Enjoy!
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Ingredients for Mexican Chocolate Tres Leches Cupcakes:
- 1 3.1 oz ABUELITA Mexican Hot Chocolate Tablet (grated) about 3/4 cup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can LA LECHERA
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablet ABUELITA Mexican Hot Chocolate tablet
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Grate ABUELITA chocolate.
- Add ABUELITA chocolate, milk, and vanilla to a small sauce pan and heat over a low flame until chocolate dissolves completely. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- In a bowl whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Set to the side.
- Add egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar to a stand-up mixer bowl with whisk attachment. Beat until very light in color- about 3 minutes.
- Then add in cooled chocolate milk mixture. Mix until combined.
- Pour wet mixture over flour mixture and mix to combine.
- In a clean stand-up mixer bowl beat egg whites until peaks form then add in 1/4 cup sugar and continue whisking until peaks are stiff.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate batter until combined, don’t over mix it.
- Fill each cupcake liner with 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool in pan.
- Poke many holes into each cupcake with the tines of a fork.
- Combine LA LECHERA, evaporated milk and heavy cream in a large bowl.
- Mix until completely combined.
- Pour a tablespoon of mixture over each cupcake and once done start over again until you no longer have tres leches mixture.
- Allow cupcakes to absorb liquid for about an hour. Or overnight.
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- Place bowl of mixer in freezer to chill.
- Melt tablet of ABUELITA Chocolate in one cup of heavy cream.
- Then place chocolate cream in fridge.
- Once chocolate mixture is cold, mix in with 2 cups of heavy cream.
- Pour chocolate cream in frozen standup mixer bowl. Whip on high until peaks form.
- Then add in confectioners sugar. Continue to whip until stiff.
- Place whipped cream in a piping bag with tip attached and pipe into little balls stacked on top of each other on each cupcake.
- Decorate with sprinkles and star toppers.