This is the first time I’ve ever made a galette. I wasn’t sure what to call it but settled on Peach Berry Almond Galette. Love how easy it came together and the fact that I was able to use up the last of the summer fruit I bought a few days ago. I didn’t have all the ingredients I wanted for my galette, but I made due with what I had on hand. HOT DIGGITY DOG it was insanely delicious.
My favorite Summer fruits enveloped in a buttery flaky sweet crust. I used sliced almonds over the top and crumbles of almond butter cookies, because It had to be a little more decadent. I wasn’t out to bake a galette that looked perfect… My main concern was to make sure it tasted right and to be honest, I love the final rustic look. Topped with vanilla ice cream for the camera, but behind closed doors I dolloped a spoonful of whipped cream over the top. Do what turns you on. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Peach-Berry-Almond-Galette:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons frozen vegetable shortening, spooned into teaspoon drops
- 10 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter, cut into tabs
- 1/4 cup extremely cold water
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream
- 1/8 cup sanding sugar
- 1 pound peaches (pitted) (about 4)
- 1/2 pound cherries
- 8 oz. blueberries
- 3/4 cup sanding sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 Almond butter cookies (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Make the crust:
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add in vegetable shortening, and pulse until the fat is cut into the flour.
- Pulse in frozen butter into flour mixture. Do not over pulse. You are looking for pea sized balls of butter to remain.
- Slowly add in the ice water one tablespoon at a time. Give the dough one pulse between each water addition.
- Dump the dough onto a clean surface. Run hands under cold water for a few minutes. Dry your hands well, then quickly press the dough together to form a ball. Then press down and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap disk in plastic wrap and place in the fridge over night.
For Fruit Filling:
- Preheat oven for 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut and remove pit from the inside of the peaches. Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Pit the cherries.
- Place the cherries, peaches, and blueberries in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, almond extract, cornstarch, and lemon juice to the bowl and mix to combine completely. Set to the side and allow it to rest while you roll out the dough.
Roll The Dough:
- Remove chilled dough from the fridge, and allow to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle clean work area with flour. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a non stick baking sheet to create a perfect circle or triangle.
- Carefully roll the dough around your rolling pin then unroll it onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Once you place the galette dough on the baking sheet, it’s time to assemble the fruit.
- With a slotted spoon, scoop the fruit mixture into the chilled dough and leave any excess liquid in the bowl.
- Make sure to keep fruit in the center of dough leaving a 3 inch border all around.
- Fold the dough around the fruit to envelope.
- Add heavy cream to a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush top of crust with cream.
- Sprinkle dough with sanding sugar.
- Crumble Almond cookies down the middle of the fruity area, and sprinkle almonds over the entire galette.
- Place baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes with rack 1/3 from bottom of the oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream or all on it’s own.
Want more sweets? Try my Cherry Cream Puffs!