Are you the type that makes a list of the food you need for the week with a set schedule of planned meals or do you just grab basics and then get imaginative with what you have on hand? I used to be the type that stuck to a planned list and scheduled meals. These days I feel like I am thinking outside the box and falling more into the latter. I was excited to learn that Northgate Market now offers ‘Pronto Curbside’ in both Norwalk and La Habra locations which makes life so much more convenient. The way I see it, I’m one less person in the market making it safer for the working associates, and customers, and I’m still able to stock up on all my favorite items.
This past week I ordered Northgate’s Corn Tortillas (made only with 100% non-GMO, USA grown white corn), handmade fresh guacamole and salsa ranchera -that are both made in store, queso, cilantro, and mushrooms. As I unpacked my bags I thought what am I going to make with these items. SPICY MUSHROOM QUESITACOS… I had to write it in all caps because they might be the best taco you ever had. Try my recipe on a breezy summer night and I swear it will the most satisfying thing you’ve ever wrapped in a corn tortilla. You’ll be talking in your sleep saying Spicy Mushroom QuesiTacos, it’s that kind of thing.
Ingredients for Spicy Mushroom QuesiTacos:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chile powder (I used chipotle)
- 10 Northgate Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups melting cheese (grated – either Queso Quesadilla, or Monterey Jack)
- 1/2 white onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 lbs. Northgate’s fresh guacamole
- Northgate’s Salsa Ranchera
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, once the pan is hot add in olive oil and butter and allow it to melt.
- Add in mushroom slices and mix to coat mushrooms with butter and oil. Cook on one side for about 4 minutes or until slightly browned. Then sprinkle the mushrooms with salt, garlic powder, and ground chile powder. Mix to combine and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Remove from flame and set to the side until ready to use.
- Place a corn tortilla on a comal or griddle over a high heat. Then sprinkle a handful of cheese (about 3 tablespoons) on top of the tortilla allow it to melt a little then flip the tortilla over using tongs so the cheese side is now face down on the comal/griddle. Let the cheese cook on the comal/griddle until it is crisp.
- Remove tortilla from comal/griddle and fill the crispy cheesy center with a few tablespoons of spicy mushrooms, a sprinkle of diced onion and cilantro, a heaping tablespoon of guacamole, and a drizzle of Salsa Ranchera.
- Repeat until all tacos are made and serve immediately.
If you are looking for more yummy vegetarian meals you could wrap in a tortilla, try my crispy battered cauliflower tacos!