When I think of a day spent at the amusement park… I instantly think of a crispy glazed funnel cake too. I picture myself on a warm Summer night enjoying a freshly fried plate of this finger licking crunchy treat in between water rides and firework shows. Ahhh memories of summers past. I miss those experiences and am really craving some Summer fun.
With our new normal in place and restrictions of gathering in crowds, I’ve (like everyone else) had to come up with new ways to make the warm season fun for not only for myself but for my 10 year old boy too! On our Summer agenda we will camp outside, have movie night on our front lawn, games in the patio, water ballon fights on the driveway, and stacks of crispy glazed funnel cake for days. This is how we will remember Summer 2020… making the best of it, safer at home.
Ingredients for Crispy Glazed Funnel Cake
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup freeze dried strawberry (powdered) (optional /substitute with 1/8 cup all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sparkling water
- 2 cups powdered sugar + more for dusting
- 5 tablespoons milk or water
- Prepare glaze by whisking powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Place to the side until ready to use.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large deep frying pan ( I used a cast-iron pan) with a thermometer attached over a medium flame. Allow the oil to heat to 360 degrees fahrenheit.
- While the oil is heating mix flour, freeze dried strawberry powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, buttermilk, vanilla, and sparkling water together until completely combined.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk into smooth. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Plug spout of a funnel with your finger, then fill the funnel with 3/4 cup batter.
- Carefully pour batter from funnel into hot oil, starting at the center and working your way outward in a spiral motion until funnel is empty. Like drawing wiggly lines in a circle.
- Fry funnel cake on each side for 4 minutes or until perfectly browned. Flip cake with tongs or a large slotted spoon.
- Remove from oil and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate for a minute before drizzling a few tablespoons of glaze over each funnel cake. Then dust with a healthy dose of powdered sugar.
- Bite into this crispy yummy treat and reclaim your summer!
For another yummy amusement park-like treat…… check out my Strawberry Churro Recipe!