Meatless Sesame Cabbage Salad is the vegan answer to a Chinese Chicken Salad gone plant based. It’s a simple salad I’ve been throwing together since I became a vegetarian a handful of years ago. Sometimes I add a meatless-chicken patty to the greens or extra crunchy elements just to spice it up. Either way feel free to mix and match. I will give you my recipe to use as a base but use whatever you have to make it your own.
Ingredients for Meatless Sesame Cabbage Salad:
- 1/2 head of cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup cilantro
- 7 stalks green onion (white part & a little of the green portion-minced)
- 1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup peanuts or slivered almonds
- 1 package of ramen (broken into pieces uncooked -discard seasoning)
- 1/2 cup yellow raisins
- 1 cup mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup sesame sticks
- (Optional) Meatless chicken patty
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Salad prep: Chop and slice all vegetables as described in the ingredients list.
- Add all salad ingredients to a giant bowl and mix until completely combined. Set to the side until ready to pour dressing in.
- Make the dressing: In a bowl or cup whisk brown sugar, mustard and rice vinegar together until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Pour in orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and seeds. Whisk together until the oil combines into the mixture.
- Slowly pour the dressing over the salad until wished for amount of dressing is reached. I never use the entire amount. I usually place it on the table and each person can add more if desired.
- Mix the salad with salad tongs to evenly coat in dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
* You can make this salad the night before and store in the fridge dry. Add the dressing, ramen, and sesame sticks right before serving.
Want more salad? Try my Roasted Asparagus Spring Salad!