This Crispy Battered Cauliflower Taco recipe is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Northgate Gonzalez Market. All opinions and recipe are 100% my own.
September is National Family Meals Month, and I would be silly to miss this opportunity to join an industry-wide movement to raise awareness of the benefits of frequent family meals. The commitment is to bring families back to the table to share one more meal at home per week. Do you think you can do it? Northgate Gonzalez Market is making it easier to take part of #NationalFamilyMealsMonth. They offer an ever-expanded assortment of products that take the stress out of planning and preparing family meals: pre-prepped fresh ingredients, delicious readymade entrees and wholesome heat and eat dishes.
I decided to jump right in and take the experience up a notch. I wrangled my son into the car and told him we were going on a culinary adventure to our favorite place, Northgate Gonzalez Market. I find going to the market with my son gives us time to bond and identify different ingredients together. It’s a time of uninterrupted focus where the meal planning begins. Since 63% of Americans decide what to eat less than an hour before eating, I thought we would follow suit and be spontaneous and figure out what to make for dinner once we were in store.
We found delicious freshly packaged hot corn tortillas stacked in front of the tortilleria section of the store. Of course I grabbed a pack and decided a taco night was in order. It didn’t take us long to stock up on some homemade salsa and made to order guacamole. Northgate Gonzalez Market makes it so incredibly easy to avoid any mealtime dilemma with their abundance of fresh produce. We found big round cauliflower, cabbage, lime, radishes, carrots, jalapenos…the list goes on and on. Us being vegetarians, we figured it would be a great idea to make a veggie version of the Ensenada Fish Taco. I grabbed a beautiful cauliflower and knew we were set for a delicious family meal night of Crispy Battered Cauliflower Tacos.
Ingredients for crispy battered cauliflower tacos:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
- 10 oz. mineral water
- 4 cups Vegetable oil
- Northgate Corn tortillas
Ingredients for garnish:
- Northgate guacamole
- cabbage (thinly sliced)
- pickled onions
- Northgate salsa
- Mexican crema
- Wash and cut cauliflower into bite size pieces by removing the leaves and stem. Then break off into medium sized pieces.
- In a large pot filled halfway with water over a high flame, bring water to a boil. Drop cauliflower pieces in hot boiling water and let par-boil for 2 minutes. Remove from water and drain completely.
- In a large bowl add in flour and baking powder. Then the seasoning salt, garlic powder, chipotle powder and cumin. Mix to combine. Pour in mineral water. Whisk until batter is no longer clumpy. Set the batter to the side to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour drained cauliflower pieces into batter. Mix to combine well.
- In a pot add vegetable oil over a medium flame. Allow to get hot.
- Using thongs add in one piece of battered cauliflower at a time.
- Deep fry for several minutes or until golden brown. Oil will bubble, and once it starts to calm down a little the piece will be golden and crispy.
- Place all crispy cauliflower pieces on a paper lined plate to drain.
- Heat the corn tortillas, fill with crispy cauliflower pieces, and garnish as you desire.
Check out my review of Northgate Gonzalez Market