This post is sponsored by Logra Mas Con Tu Cocina. All opinions are my own.
A delicious fruity drink that will surely brighten all your holiday festivities: Mexican Christmas Punch / Ponche Navideño
December is a big month for us here in the Lopez-Presley household. It’s my husband’s birthday month, Christmas tree trimming time, and gotta tamalada with my family. I can’t forget holiday school activities for my son, light ceremonies, and Posada festivities better known as let’s drink Mexican Christmas Punch / Ponche Navideño all night long. Of course, it’s also Christmas. I run around like mad trying to get everything just right.
Ponche Navideño is something I make throughout the entire month of December. I love the aroma the hot fruity punch gives off as it boils, which essentially means a gathering is about to unfold. The punch’s cinnamon and fruit fusion create an aroma perfect for warming you up during the holidays. Typically I stick to the basics of ponche making with jamaica, tamarindo, prunes, sugar cane, and tejocote. You can basically use any fruit you have on hand, like apples, oranges, raisins, and pears. I don’t always like making the same version so I searched the internet and found an interesting one at LograMasConTuCocina.com which called for Lipton® Green Tea. This smart beverage is just 40 calories. I know, Christmas comes early with that calorie count.
I liked the idea of giving my ponche a little Lipton® Green Tea unsweetened 100% Natural Green Tea twist, which contains about 150 mg flavonoids per serving. A daily consumption of at least 400 mg flavonoids is suggested and may help maintain a healthy heart. This recipe uses apples, pears, dried prunes, Lipton® Green Tea, and guava nectar as a base. I added a few extra ingredients to make it my own and gosh it was perfect.
Related Recipe: Buñuelos De Viento
For my adult friends and family I like to spike my Mexican Christmas Punch making it a cocktail with a quality tequila or whiskey. I make a big pot for our gathering and place it on the bar next to the boozy options and everyone can pour their spirit of choice into their individual cup. It makes an ideal holiday intoxicant.
Do you have any festive recipe ideas that include Lipton® Green Tea? Please share using #LograMasConTuCocina
Ingredients for Mexican Christmas Punch / Ponche Navideño:
- 20 whole cloves
- 2 oranges, sliced thickly
- 3 quarts of water
- 1 gala apple, cut into bite size chunks
- Green apple (1), cut into bite size chunks
- 1 pear, cubed
- 8 oz. peeled sugar cane
- 10 pitted prunes
- 4 tamarindo pods, peeled and deveined
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oz mini piloncillo cone
- 10 Lipton® Green Tea Bags
- 1 1/2 guava nectar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Stick cloves into skin of orange slices. Put water, orange slices, apple, pear, sugar cane, prunes, tamarindo, and cinnamon sticks in a 8 qt pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes for fruit to soften and for flavors to develop.
- Stir in mini piloncillo cone. Remove from heat and add Lipton® Green Tea Bags; cover and steep 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and stir in guava nectar and pomegranate seeds.
- Ladle punch and fruit into mugs.
- Enjoy and Happy Holidays!