My family and I were invited to a pre-screening of “The House With A Clock In Its Walls” this past Saturday, the new movie directed by Eli Roth (Hostel/DeathWish)and starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett. The House With A Clock In Its Walls is a magical kid-scary film. It reminds me of the movies that used to be made back in the 80’s that were just frightening enough to make you jump out of your seat, but nothing that would project your dreams into nightmares.
I was excited to give my son his first taste of a horror film. I think The House With A Clock In Its Walls is the perfect introduction to this genre for kids age 8 and up. Aside from the scares the set design was a carnival of eyecandy with cool dreamlike sets that kids and adults alike will be drawn to.
One of the key things that stood out to me while watching the film… they only ate chocolate chip pecan cookies. I sat there in the theater wishing I had a plate of the cookies from the film mixed with the snacks I was munching on – a soft pretzel and chocolate covered raisins. I rushed home and made a batch of Chocolate Chip Pretzel Candied Pecan Cookies completely inspired by the film. I took a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe and added a little magic to it with bits of candied pecans, chocolate covered raisins, mini pretzel pieces, and toasted coconut to give it an extra layer of trickery. It was absurd how exquisite they turned out. I almost named them the matinee cookie, but then you wouldn’t know what was in them. 🙂
Make these Chocolate Chip Pretzel Candied Pecan Cookies and take your kiddos to go see “The House With A Clock In Its Walls” it starts Friday September 21st in theaters nationwide!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pretzel Candied Pecan Cookies:
- 2 sticks butter (room temp)
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup bakers sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chocolate covered raisins
- 1 cup candied pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1 cup mini pretzels (some whole some broken)
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Beat butter, both sugars, and vanilla extract together until creamy.
- Add in eggs and continue mixing until completely combined.
- In a separate small bowl whisk bread flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Gradually pour the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat until fully combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, chocolate covered raisins, candied pecans, toasted coconut, and mini pretzels.
- Scoop mixture using a tablespoon onto a baking mat lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before devouring the whole batch. 🙂