This post is #sponsored by Allied Contigo on behalf of The Hollywood Bowl. All opinions and recipe are 100% my own.
Have you had a chance to check out the Hollywood Bowl family friendly movie music concert series calendar yet? Oh my word. I’m so excited for what’s in store this Summer. It’s not like the Hollywood Bowl ever disappoints, and the fact that they showcase some of the best films and concerts all sunny season long conjures up a new burst of excitement in me year after year.
I’ve been there over a few dozen times now to know the in’s and out’s of the bowl and all the best kept secrets. I used to think you could only eat in your seats or up the walkway leading up to the bowl, but I’ve come to find out surrounding the Hollywood Bowl are 14 beautiful picnic areas, some of which open as early as four hours before your concert! 14 picnic spots…. who knew? I think my favorite part of the bowl outing (aside from the performances) is the fact that you can bring your own food. Bringing your own food means you can go as extravagant as you’d like or make it a total casual dining experience. If time is a constraint or you just can’t be bothered with packing a picnic… I urge you to treat yourself to a Food + Wine pre-made picnic. Pre-order to enjoy Suzanne’s picnic-perfect menu featuring delicious options for anyone’s palette.
I usually make something to go with the theme of the film or concert we are enjoying. The time we saw E.T. I made Reese’s Pieces Brownies, and Indiana Jones Snake Cookies for Raiders Of The Lost Ark. I’m nerdy like that, and my family loves it, so I’m going to keep doing it. Since this year I’m yearning for the movies at the bowl and daydreaming of our picnic… I’ve been focused on our picnic basket and what will be suitable to eat in this extreme heat. I decided on a bottle of chilled white wine, a bowl of cherries, and full flavored fresh vegan spring rolls (they are gluten free too) served with a ginger sauce. Perfect hand-held food (no need for utensils), that keeps well in a picnic basket, and is fresh light clean eating at it’s finest. Sounds like I have a string of perfect picnic/movie dates ahead of me and I couldn’t be more feverish about it.
Scroll past the calendar to get my recipe.
- Jaws: July 20th/21st
- Annie: July 27th/28th/29th
- Pink Panther: August 8th
- Star Wars: A New Hope: August 7th/10th
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: August 9th/11th
- Tchaikovsky Spectacular with Fireworks: August 24th/25th
- Sing-a-long Sound of Music: September 22nd
Ingredients for full flavored fresh vegan spring rolls:
- 12 – Rice paper wraps
- 12 – Romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 – cups purple cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 – carrot (julienned)
- 1 – zucchini (julienned)
- 1- red bell pepper (julienned)
- 1 – nectarine (pit removed and julienned)
- 36 – pickled jalapenos strips
- 1/2 – cup cilantro leaves
- 2 avocados (cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
- 1/2 -cup salted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
- 2 – teaspoons sesame seeds
- ginger dressing
- Pour hot water in a large pan.
- Then working with one rice paper wrap at a time add in 1 rice wrapper. Allow to soak on each side for 10 seconds, or until it is soft and pliable.
- Carefully pull rice paper wrap out of water and spread onto a work surface. I like to use a cutting board.
- Add 1 lettuce leaf, a small handful of purple cabbage, a few strips of carrot, zucchini, red bell pepper, nectarine, pickled jalapeno, and avocado. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of chopped peanuts, and a few leaves of cilantro.
- Fold top and bottom of rice wrapper, then fold the sides totally covering the filling. Roll tight to compact ingredients together. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds, and serve with a ginger dressing.