I’m so excited to share my Falafel Sliders recipe with you. Back in March I was in London visiting my man (he was on tour at the time). To make a long story short he had ordered us some food backstage, so after the show as I joined him, I also joined my first falafel burger.
I was so bewildered by the plant based burger because I had never seen it done here in the states where we definitely enjoy falafel on the regular. I thought “I’m going to make falafel sliders when I get home, instead of a burger and serve them over summer.” Well here we are…. Putting my thoughts into action.
I decided to keep with the basics of the falafel recipe but added my own spicy twist to this delicious burger. You can keep it vegan if you wish by not adding the cheese, or adding a vegan cheese slice to it. Either way don’t forget to slather the bun with hummus and pile it high with pickled onions. OH BOY… Hello Summer!
Ingredients for Falafel Sliders:
- 16 oz. Garbanzo Beans
- 1 – teaspoon olive oil
- 4 – garlic cloves
- 2 – serrano chiles (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 – white onion (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1/8 – cup parsley
- 1/8 – cup cilantro
- 3 – tablespoons flour
- 2 – teaspoons salt
- 2 – teaspoons cumin
- 1 – teaspoon corriander
- 1 – teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Slider buns
- tomato slices
- pickled onions
- (Optional ) Pepper jack cheese or vegan cheese
- Clean, sort, and rinse beans. Discard any rocks or beans that are broken.
- Place rinsed beans in a large bowl and add 8 cups of cold water. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and allow to soak overnight or up to 20 hours.
- Drain water from beans, and rinse them well. Drain again.
- In a small frying pan over a medium flame add 1 teaspoon olive oil and allow to get hot. Fry onion, and garlic cloves until browned.
- Place drained garbanzo beans, garlic cloves, onion, serrano, parsley, cilantro, flour, salt, cumin, corriander, chipotle powder, and black pepper into a food processor.
- Pulse mixture until it resembles a crumbly paste. You want it to be a perfect combo between a crumb on the verge of a paste. Do not over process.
- Place the mixture in a mixing bowl and mix with a spoon or fork. Remove any large chunks.
- Place a lid on bowl or cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a frying pan over a medium flame, fill with vegetable oil 2 inches in depth. Allow the oil to get hot. If you have a cooking thermometer bring the temperature to 365 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oil is heating form your falafel patties. Scoop 2 tablespoons of falafel mixture into wet hands and form patty shaped falafels.
- Fry each patty on for 3 minutes on both sides.
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate to drain and cool slightly.
- Optional : Place slice of cheese or vegan cheese on top of patty at this point while still piping hot to melt.
- Repeat until all falafel patties are fried.
- Grab a slider bun, and spread both halves with hummus.
- Place falafel patty on one side of bun. Top with lettuce, tomato, and pickled onions. Place other bun on top and eat.
- Enjoy Falafel Sliders with chips, or cucumber slices.
- Find further instruction on my Instagram Stories!