If you’re going to post a fruitcake recipe, then make sure it’s an out-of-this-world- unbelievably delicious fruitcake recipe… if not, why bother. I’ve taken a little break from my recipe posting lately but thought I’d resume recipe development to bring fruitcake back. This is the one. This is definitely the one I’d want to eat and I think you will too. All the flavors of the holidays enveloped in this moist cake, not like the dry one people traditionally serve. Then topped with a thick icing and little sugared cranberries. Viola! Feliz Navidad!!!!
- 2 – cups sugar
- 3 – eggs
- 1 – tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 – cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 – cup orange juice
- 3 – cups organic flour
- 1 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 – teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 – teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 – teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 1/2 – cups chopped pink ladies apples (peeled, about 2 apples)
- 2 – cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 – cup dried cranberries or cherries (rehydrated by boiling in cranberry juice for 5 minutes, then drained)
- 1/2 – cup dried pineapple
- 1/2 – cup candied pecans (chopped)
- 1/2 – cup pistachios (chopped)
For the sauce:
- 1 – stick butter
- 1 1/4 – cups sugar
- 3/4 – cup buttermilk
- 3/4 – teaspoon baking soda
For the icing:
- 5 – tablespoons 1/2 and 1/2
- 3 1/2 – cups powdered sugar
For the sugared cranberries recipe, click here.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 13 cup bundt pan with a non-stick baking spray. Set to the side.
- For the cake: In a mixer add in sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and orange juice. Mix to combine completely.
- In a bowl sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ground ginger together. Slowly add dry mixture to wet ingredients until combined.
- Add in apples, coconut, cranberries, dried pineapple, and nuts. Mix until completely combined.
- Pour the cake batter into greased bundt pan.
- Smooth the top of batter with a spatula.
- Bake cake for an hour and thirty five minutes.
- About 10 minutes before the cake is completed being baked… make the sauce by adding all ingredients into a sauce pan and bringing to a boil. Mix to ensure sugar dissolves completely. Set to the side.
- Remove from oven and poke all over the top with a toothpick. Then spoon sauce over the top of the cake. Allow the cake to cool in pan for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from bundt pan and place on a cake stand, allow to cool for a minimum of 2 hours.
- For the icing: Whisk powdered sugar and 1/2 and 1/2 together. Drizzle over the top of the cake and let stand for 1o minutes, then decorate with sugared cranberries and sprigs of rosemary.