Disclosure: This is part of a sponsored campaign with the California Milk Processor Board and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed and recipe is are 100% my own.
Let me tell you about my Nina… she is a hot little spit fire packaged in a petite frame and has long luscious locks that drape her face. She has green piercing eyes and a voice that can carry through the French alps if it needed to. In other words she is loud and feisty and good looking. This firecracker was always kind to me growing up and bossy at the same time. As you can imagine she gave direction well, and didn’t take anyone’s crap. My Nina has always been surrounded by a gang of yappy little mean chihuahuas who were meaner than the Grinch. If people came to visit her they would nip at the ankles of the guests and tug at their pant hemlines. I use to find this amusing since that was the opposite treatment they gave me. They would jump on their hind legs with their tongues sticking out and their tails wagging. The baby puppies loved me. I think it might have been because I always shared my food with them. Let me add this tidbit, my Nina is an excellent cook, and makes very traditional foods. One day many moons ago she was instructing me in a louder than usual volume to try this arroz con leche she had made. I dug my spoon in and savored the sweetness in my mouth. She watched with knowing eyes that her’s was the best. Then that little kitchen filled up with her loud bullhorn voice and she said ” You like it ha Mija? It’s probably one of the best you’ve ever had. Right?” I felt like Dorothy when she first encounters the wizard of oz…. no room to agree or disagree. I nodded my head. That was that… I never asked what was in her arroz con leche, but I surely wanted to know.
In my quest to eat the most magical arroz con leche… I decided to mix in chocolate and dried cherries. I still wanted it to be super yummy and didn’t know if that would do the trick so I made it tres leches, and low and behold I figured out exactly what my Nina had made that day.
Here are more creamy delicious milk recipes for your viewing pleasure! Or download a MILK coupon here.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cherry Arroz Con Tres Leches:
- 3 – cups water
- 2 – cinnamon sticks
- 1 – tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 – cups long grain rice
- 1 – cup dried cherries
- 1 – cup milk
- 1 – can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 – can media crema
- 3 – Mexican chocolate disks
- In a pot over a medium high flame add in water, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla. Bring to a boil.
- Add in rice and dried cherries. Mix to combine, then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling lower flame to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Allow rice to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, remove from flame and discard cinnamon sticks. Allow rice to rest for a few minutes.
- While rice is resting. In a separate pot over a medium low flame mix together media crema and Mexican chocolate disks. Mix until fully dissolved and a chocolate sauce is formed. Set the the side.
- In a large bowl add in cooked rice and cherries, milk, sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate sauce.
- Mix to combine and serve either warm or cold.
Here’s a little video showing you how: