My fiancé is very vocal about his likes and dislikes with everything, in this case, candy. He is always disappointed with the boxes of chocolates that are store bought. I can tell you exactly what candy he’ll eat and which he will complain about. He looks inside the box takes a nibble out of a few pieces then puts them back. Yeah, he’s that guy. I guess I’ve gotten use to it, or I just throw them out or eat around the half eaten pieces.
As Valentine’s day approaches I’ve been thinking about chocolates and all the things my fiancé really does love….then I thought that I should just chocolate dip all his favorite treats. I’ll include savory, tart and sweet and create my own assortment of chocolate bites. I could recycle Valentine heart boxes from years past and spruce them up with a new lining. He’ll be so surprised and pleased. That’s exactly what I did.
I started the project by heading to Walmart to pick up Valentine tissue paper (for the inside of my recycled boxes), stick glue, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and BACON! If I was going to make my own box of chocolates it would have to have heart shaped bacon in it. He lives to eat bacon so why not cover it in chocolate?
It was a real easy process. I just shaped a few slices of bacon into hearts on a cookie sheet and baked them for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. The rest was super easy and I believe he is going to be thrilled. You can always custom make your own DIY box of chocolates with the treats your sweetheart loves most.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Things needed for DIY box of chocolates:
- A heart shaped box ( I used a few I had from years past)
- Valentine tissue paper
- pencil and scissors
- 2 – cookie sheets
- wax paper
- 1 – package bacon (shape each slice into a heart on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes)
- 1 – paper towel
- 1 – paper plate
- 1 – bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 – tablespoon coconut oil
- mini pretzels
- strawberry marshmallows ( I used Kraft)
- kumquats (I used Melissa’s Produce)
- Place a piece of tissue paper into the inside of a heart shaped box. Then with a pencil lightly trace the outline of the inside of the heart. Next remove the paper and cut it out with the scissors. Place the heart on the bottom layer of the box.
- Line a cookie sheet with a piece of wax paper and set to the side.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- One the other cookie sheet shape each slice of bacon into a heart, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (as pictured above).
- Remove bacon from oven and place on a paper towel lined paper plate to cool completely.
- In a double boiler add in chocolate chips and coconut oil, mix until completely melted. Pour melted chocolate into a bowl.
- Dip in pretzels, marshmallows, kumquats, and bacon. Place dipped pieces on wax paper lined cookie sheet to firm up completely. I let them set over night.
- Once all pieces are firm, place chocolates into boxes, and give it to your sweetheart.
- Happy Valentine’s Day!