Who’s looking for fast ways to get dinner on the table? Me- I raise my hand quickly. It can be very challenging to get dinner served fast when you have requests that take a long time to make. I got your answer Meatless lasagna! (more…)
Tag: Lasagna recipe
Do you see these? The blend of melty cheese, noodles, spicy sausage, mushroom, and tangy tomato…. Yeah that pretty much sums up the ideal meal for me….. They are a hybrid of my favorite Italian dish and a touch of spicy Mexican. I can’t live without a dabble of spice. I made these for dinner and was so thankful I made them into rolls instead of the traditional lasagna because this way, I knew exactly how much I was eating. I could have eaten the whole tray.
- 1 – tablespoon butter
- 3 – cups mushrooms (1 1/2 cups sliced, and 1 1/2 cups minced)
- 1 – pound of ground sausage (I used jimmy dean- Italian)
- 2 – tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – onion (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 – basil leaves (chopped finely)
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- 2 – teaspoons chile pepper (the kind you put on pizza)
- 1 – teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon sugar
- 3 – cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 14 – oz. tomato sauce
- 10 – lasagna noodles (cooked according to package) (I used Barilla)
- 10 – teaspoons ricotta cheese
- 70 – baby spinach leaves
- 1 – cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 – cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 – cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame melt the butter.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms and saute for six minutes. Then move the mushrooms to one side of the pan making room for the meat.
- Then add in pork sausage, with a spatula break it up into pieces while it cooks. Mix it into the mushrooms. Cook the sausage for about 10 to 15 minutes or until completely cooked. Remove and set to the side.
- Let’s make the sauce: In a medium pot over a medium flame add in olive oil and allow to get hot.
- Add in onion and allow to saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, 1 1/2 cups minced mushrooms, basil leaves, black pepper, chile pepper, and Lawry’s. Mix to combine. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in sugar, chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Mix to combine. Let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Boil noodles according to box.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Pour 2/3rds of the tomato mixture into a 9×13 pyrex baking dish. Set to the side and reserve the remaining tomato mixture to the side.
- Lay the noodles flat on a baking mat or non-stick surface. Then spread 1 teaspoon of ricotta cheese on each of the lasagna noodles. Covering the entire strips in a thin layer of ricotta.
- Then lay 7 baby spinach leaves on each strip.
- Sprinkle the top of the spinach with 1/4 cup ground sausage mushroom mixture.
- Top the sausage mixture with a few pinches of mozzarella cheese, then a few pinches of cheddar cheese.
- Take one end of the lasagna noodle and roll it up to the other end of the noodle.
- Then place in the tomato based pyrex dish. Continue until all noodles are rolled.
- Then once all rolls are in the dish pour remaining tomato mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Then place under the broiler (set on high) for 2 minutes. Just to brown.
- Serve hot.
- Spicy Sausage Lasagna Rolls…. who could ask for anything more?
I adore Italian food. It is one of my favorite things to eat. I dream of pasta and a gorgeous sauce smothered in cheese all the time but for some reason can never get my hands around a decent bowl or plate of pasta. I think of the simple ways I’ve enjoyed Italian sauce in the past with just garlic a little basil and Hunt’s tomato sauce…. I fantasized about eating lasagna then realize I will have to make it myself if I want it done as it is in my dreams. Then my good friend Average Betty released her video of a crock pot lasagna. I thought “That’s it? I’ll make my version and let the Crock pot do all the work.” I’ll take my stress level down a notch and enjoy lovely lasagna and life will be happy! Next thing I know my Momma comes along and says she wants some lasagna as well. Great! Just so you know my Momma is a vegetarian, so I start building a meatless sauce in my head. Nothing too fussy or complicated, just simple and delicious. Plus I want my son to have a serving and he’s only 3 so I’m trying to be mindful of his young palate. I’ll definitely need Hunt’s chopped tomatoes, a few veggies, and a variety of yummy cheeses. That was the hardest part about this recipe, making the sauce, the rest is a walk in the park. I used raw noodles as I always do when making lasagna even in the oven, grated some cheese, assembled, put the lid on the crock pot, and set the timer to 2 1/2 hours on high. Walked away a carefree Momma, knowing dinner was taking care of it’s self tonight. My family was thrilled, and I will be using this method for lasagna making from here on out.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Lasagna:
- 1 – tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – whole onion (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – whole yellow bell pepper (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 – tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 – teaspoon dried basil
- 1 – pinch dried oregano
- 2 – cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 – can (14.5 – ounce) Hunt’s diced tomatoes
- 1 – can (29 – ounce) Hunt’s tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- a box of lasagna noodles ( I use Barilla)
- 1 1/4 – cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 – cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 – cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 15 – ounces ricotta cheese
- In a pot over a medium flame add in olive oil and allow to get hot. Then add in onion and yellow bell pepper. Saute for 5 till 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic, basil, oregano, and mushrooms. Mix well and continue to saute for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sauce from flame and set to the side.
- Pour a cup and half of sauce on the bottom of the Crock Pot.
- Then break the lasagna noodles to fit the crock pot. Place them in snuggly.
- Then add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 5 tablespoons ricotta cheese to the top of the lasagna noodles.
- Add another layer of lasagna noodles (this time going in the opposite direction).
- Then add a cup and a half sauce, then the cheese (same measurements as before), then lasagna noodles and so forth until you end with the cheese layer on top. Place lid on top of Crock pot and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Enjoy! Your lasagna will be deep dish and delicious.