I recently created these Cheese Pretzels for National Pretzel Day. They were the BEST freshly baked pretzels that I’ve ever had, and I’m not trying to brag but it’s the truth. I promise you won’t be disappointed. 🙂
Ingredients for cheese pretzels:
• 1 – packet active dry yeast
• 1 – cup warm water plus 1 ½ tablespoons
• 3 – cups unbleached flour
• 1 – tablespoon sugar
• 1 – teaspoon salt
• 8 – cups boiling hot water
• 1 – tablespoon honey
• 4 – tablespoons baking soda
• 1 – egg
• 1 – tablespoon water
• 1 – cup jack cheese (grated)
• sea salt
1. Add yeast and warm water to mixer and allow to sit there for 10 to 15 minutes. The water will become cloudy and slightly foam.
2. Add dough hook attachment to mixer.
3. In a bowl add flour, sugar and salt. Mix to combine.
4. Pour flour mixture into warm water mixture, and turn mixer on to medium speed. Allow dough to come together for about 5 to 7 minutes. The dough will form a ball shape. This means it is ready.
5. Remove dough from mixer, and kneed with hands for 2 minutes.
6. Grease a large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Cover top of bowl with plastic wrap, and let rest in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours or until dough doubles in size.
7. Remove dough from dough, and cut into 8 even pieces.
8. Roll one piece of dough at a time, by rolling it with two hands to form a long skinny snake like shape. Then carefully shape dough into a pretzel by bringing both ends toward the top and twisting once, then fold back down to press into the dough.
9. Place pretzels on a baking mat lined cookie sheet and allow to rise for another 20 minutes.
10. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. In a large pot over a high flame add in hot water and bring to a rolling boil. Once water is boiling add in honey and mix to dissolve. Then pour in baking soda. Mix to combine.
12. Slowly dip each pretzel into the boiling water for 30 seconds on each side. Then with a slotted spoon remove pretzels. I did one pretzel at a time.
13. Place pretzels back on baking mat lined cookie sheet.
14. In a small bowl whisk egg and water together creating an egg wash.
15. Using a pastry brush, brush each pretzel with egg wash.
16. Sprinkle 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) of jack Cheese on top of each pretzel.
17. Top with a tiny pinch of sea salt.
18. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes.
19. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.