I think about soy chorizo potato tacos and my mouth waters. They are a total treat in my house and a serious indulgence. It’s like a holiday meal on a Tuesday night, except no real reason to celebrate except for TACOS! My husband requests them casually all the time hoping I’ll say yes and just start frying the shells in preparation.
Frying the shells?
All tacos are created differently, and I find from 30+ years of cooking experience that frying the potato in the shell makes a huge mess out of the cooking oil. Messy cooking oil in turn means little nibs of burnt potato stuck to the shell, and no body truly wants that mess. So, frying the shell in advance with no filling is a great solution, and not to mention you can obtain a crunchier shell.
So here’s my recipe for Soy Chorizo Potato Tacos the best no-holiday necessary vegan based tacos this side of the red planet.
Psssst… you can add cheese and make them vegetarian if that’s your bag. I enjoy them both ways.
Ingredients for Soy Chorizo Potato Tacos:
- vegetable oil
- corn tortillas (king size)
- 3 potatoes (peeled, cubed and boiled for 15 minutes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion (diced)
- 9 oz. soy chorizo
- queso fresco (optional)
- chopped tomato
- pickled jalapeno or serranos
- chopped lettuce
- Let’s fry the shells: Pour 1 cup of vegetable oil into a small frying pan and allow it to get hot. Place a tortilla into the hot oil then fold it in half using tongs. Once the first side is fried/hard, flip it to the other side and make a gap in between the side by using the tongs while the other side frys. Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain, and set to the side until ready to use. Watch my Instagram taco highlight to see exactly how I do it.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a nonstick frying pan over a medium high flame. Allow to get hot. Then add in boiled potato cubes.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and fry on each side for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp.
- Push potatoes to one side once crisp and add in onion. Saute for 4 minutes. Mix into potatoes and push to one side of pan.
- Add in soy chorizo and cook for 3 to 4 minutes breaking it up with the back of the spatula. Mix into potato mixture.
- Take a few tablespoons of soy chorizo potato mixture and place into fried taco shells.
- Serve with guacamole, pickles jalapenos or serranos, diced tomato, shredded lettuce, and queso fresco!
- Yum! Enjoy.
Hungry for more tacos? Try my Falafel Encrusted Avocado Tacos!