One of my dearest girlfriend Monique is vegan. For her birthday (April 17th) this year she called and said to me “I don’t want you to buy me anything for my birthday, all I want is for you to make me a vegan dessert.” I said “Do you have something in particular in mind?” She said “Nope, just make me something for my birthday.” The first thing I thought was vegan brownie oreo cupcakes.
Okay. The line was drawn. I’m totally okay with my closest friends putting in requests, especially birthday requests. Monique is totally easy when it comes to food, she eats only what she likes and not much more. I knew there had to be chocolate in the recipe, and I had made a non-vegan Oreo Nutella Brownie in the past. I figured why not recreate that recipe to a plant-based version and add a little chocolate frosting to the top to make it birthday ready? I did, and it worked out magically! Try my Vegan Brownie Oreo Cupcakes.
Ingredients for Vegan Brownie Oreo Cupcakes:
For the cupcakes:
- 9 cupcake liners/holders
- Flax eggs: 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water
- 8 tablespoons non-dairy butter (1/2 cup) melted
- 3/4 cup bakers sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 9 Oreo cookies
For the frosting:
- 1 cup non-dairy butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and place oven rack to the center.
- Line cupcake tin with cupcake holders.
- In a small bowl prepare flax eggs by mixing flaxseed meal and water together. Let sit for 10 minutes to the side while you mix the other ingredients.
- Add melted non-dairy butter, sugar and vanilla to a stand-up mixer, and mix until fully combined. Then add in the flaxseed egg, baking powder, salt, and cacao powder. Mix to combine.
- Once combined, add in flour and mix until mixture comes together.
- Scoop one tablespoon cupcake mixture into the bottom of each cupcake holder and spread evenly.
- Top cupcake mixture with oreo cookie, then top with another 3/4 tablespoon cupcake mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Let’s make the frosting:
- Place all frosting ingredients in a stand-up mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium high for 3 to 4 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Place in a disposable piping bag fitted with the tip of your choice and pipe frosting in a swirl. See my Instagram highlights to see my swirling method.
- Decorate with a strawberry cut into a heart shape.