I can not think of Disney’s ‘Ralph Breaks The Internet’ without thinking of Vanellope’s Sugar Rush game. When I picture being inside of Sugar Rush I imagine the combination of cake and candy coming together and living up to the term ‘eye candy.’ I imagine Sugar Rush Meringue Cake.
Movie inspired food:
I love when food art imitates film. Let’s be real, I live in Los Angeles and the whole town is a-buzz since it’s Oscar weekend. Some people are having parties, and others are simply eating a sandwich on the couch, but one thing is for sure…. everyone is tuning in. This year ‘Ralph Breaks The Internet’ is nominated for an Oscar, and this really inspired me to push the pedal to the metal like Vanellope, and create something ‘Sugar Rush’ inspired.
I decided to combine cake and chocolate covered meringues together for a sweet tooth delight. I may be making this confection this weekend for the Oscars but I think I’ll be making it again on February 26th in celebration of the release of RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET on Digital & on Blu-ray! Long live Sugar Rush!
Ingredients for Sugar Rush Meringue Cake:
- one 9×13 sheet cake (baked according to box) (flavor of your choice)
- 5 inch circle cookie cutter
- whipped cream 4 cups
- crushed pink cookie
- ball candy
- chocolate/sprinkle covered meringue (how to make instructions following sugar rush meringue cake instructions)
- star lollipop (optional)
- Bake cake according to instructions on the box.
- Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Cut as many 5 inch circles from cake as possible. I got 3 circles total. Reserve scraps for another use OR crumble and embellish the sides of cake with crumbs once frosted.
- Choose a serving plate and scoop 1 tablespoon of whipped cream into the center of the plate. Place 1st cake circle on top of whipped cream to secure it’s position and keep it from moving much.
- Slather the first layer with 3/4 cup of whipped cream. Spreading the whipped cream evenly with a butter knife or an angled spatula to cover the first layer.
- Place the 2nd cake circle on top of whipped cream and top with 3/4 cup of whipped cream. Spread evenly.
- Top 2nd whipped cream cake circle with 3rd cake circle. Top cake with 1 cup whipped cream and spread evenly to frost the top of the cake.
- With remaining whipped cream frost the side of the cake, by smoothing all around the sides.
- Decorate with pink cookie crumbs and candy balls.
- Top with chocolate/sprinkle covered meringue and lollipop.
What you need for the chocolate/sprinkle meringues:
- white chocolate chips
- pink food coloring
- meringues (homemade or store bought)
- In a microwave safe bowl add in white chocolate chips and microwave for 1 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and stir with rubber spatula until chocolate is smooth.
- Swirl two drops of pink food coloring into white chocolate and mix to combine completely.
- Dip the tip of the meringue into the pink chocolate, then dip in sprinkles.
- Allow to dry on a cooling rack until chocolate hardens.
- Decorate cake with chocolate/sprinkle covered meringues or eat them on their own!