The story of Pistachio Fig Arroz Con Leche: I got this friend named Rachel, I like to call her Miss Killers, but that’s different story for another time. Rachel is gluten-free and has been for a while now. It seems like most of our encounters are planned around food, either it’s a potluck or a restaurant rendezvous, but we almost always end the night with Miss Killers complaining about not being able to have the dessert she wishes she could have, if I haven’t made flan. I usually feel like an awful friend for not coming up with a fabulous gluten free dessert she could eat.
The other day I was scrolling through my instagram stories and noticed Rachel was celebrating a new big job (she started her own business Blue Lotus Collective a year ago and has been hustling hard) and a promotion for her fiancé. They were eating some decadent dinner, then the next story showed them at a pie house and naturally she was complaining how they had gone there for dessert and unfortunately she couldn’t partake.
I sent her a DM saying I would make her a celebrational gluten free dessert that would be drool-worthy and taste like heaven. I made a batch of pistachio fig arroz con leche the next day. A pistachio arroz con leche made with Jasmin rice and garnished with fresh figs, salty pistachios, and gluten free granola (for extra crunch). Delicious and pretty to look at too. I think I’m going to call it “The Rachel” and invite her over to continue her celebration! Congrats, amiga!
Ingredients for Pistachio Fig Arroz Con Leche:
- 4 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 3/4 cups jasmin rice
- 1/3 cup pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pistachio extract
- 14 ounces La Lechera (sweetened condensed milk)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- fresh figs
- gluten free granola
- Add water and cinnamon sticks to a pot and bring water to a boil over a medium high flame. Once water is boiling remove cinnamon sticks.
- Pour jasmin rice and pistachios into boiling water. Mix to combine.
- Cover pot with lid, then lower flame to low – simmer.
- Cook rice for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add in vanilla extract, pistachio extract, La Lechera, and evaporated milk. Mix well to combine.
- Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes pot uncovered and stirring occasionally.
- Remove from flame and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and garnish with figs, granola and pistachios.