A while ago a friend of mine had posted a picture of avocado tacos and one of the persons in the comment section asked “how do you keep the crust from going soggy?” The person who posted never responded, because they probably didn’t have an answer. I thought that to be a legitimate question and have never forgot about it.
Lately I’ve been playing with falafel and am always amazed at how crunchy the exterior holds it’s bite, never soggy. Then I got to thinking… what if I encrusted avocado in falafel….what would that be like? Luckily I had some falafel mixture in the fridge and the falafel encrusted avocado was born. Needless to say it didn’t get soggy. I found it to be crunchy enough to be the main ingredient of a taco. Please believe me when I say…. This might be one of the best plant based tacos on the planet. Falafel encrusted avocado tacos for the WIN!
Ingredients for Falafel encrusted avocado tacos:
- Falafel mixture (click here for recipe)
- Vegetable oil
- Corn tortillas
- Purple cabbage (sliced thin)
- Green cabbage (sliced thin)
- Carrots (shredded)
- Red onion (diced)
- chile de arbol salsa
- Just chipotle mayo
- Tomato (diced)
- (optional) queso fresco
- Wet both hands and scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of falafel mixture into one of your hands. Then with the other hand pat it flat into the palm of your hand.
- Take a slice of avocado and gently press the falafel mixture around the entire avocado slice. Place on a clean surface then repeat until all avocado slices are encrusted.
- Pour vegetable oil into a small frying pot about 3 inches deep over a medium flame. Attach a thermometer to the pot and wait until it reaches 370 degrees.
- Fry the avocado slices in small batches until the falafel is crispy and golden…. About 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat until all avocado slices are fried.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper plate.
- Heat tortillas on a comal or over an open flame.
- Assemble tacos with a bit of green and purple cabbage. Then add in carrots, red onion, cilantro, diced tomato, and a few slices of falafel encrusted avocado.
- Drizzle with red salsa, just chipotle mayo and fresh lime juice.
- Sprinkle with queso fresco (optional for vegetarians) if you go that way.