This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Constellation Brands. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CelebratorySips #ModeloSummer #CollectiveBias
It’s funny how quickly time flies. Last summer, I was in Italy absorbing the culture and of course eating lots of amazing food, grabbing anything I thought would be a delicious discovery. I remember sitting on the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea at a little outdoor cafe and ordering a bag filled with beer battered veggies and fries served with a cold beer. I had never seen anything quite like it back here in the United States and was ready to adopt this new treat.
As I prep for all my Summer gatherings this year, I realize my dance card is rapidly filling up. I’ve got friends coming over for the beautiful game, a day of adult water balloon fights, my Mom’s (she’s a July Leo lion) birthday party, and our traditional picnic and movie projection evening in my backyard. How am I going to entertain my friends this Summer you ask? I’m going to serve beer battered veggies and fries with cold beer the way they do by the Tyrrhenian Sea, except I am going to incorporate my favorite beer in the recipe giving it some Mexican flavor and serve it cold: Modelo Especial®!!!!
I think Modelo Especial® is the perfect beer to use for my beer battered veggies. The full-flavored Pilsner-style Lager will make for a light, crisp beer batter that will coat my veggies perfectly and give it lots of rich taste. Modelo Especial also pairs well as a cold beverage with my beer battered veggies since it’s characterized by an orange blossom honey aroma with a hint of herb. It sounds like I’m ready for Summer. I want to bask in the sun, take in all the daylight, eat my beer battered veggies and fries, and enjoy a cold Modelo Especial. Cheers to a fun filled heated season.
Ingredients for Beer Battered Veggies:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 large zucchinis cut into ½ inch thick strips
- 1 white onion cut into ½ inch slices (then separated into individual rings)
- A basket of baby bella mushrooms
- 12 oz. Modelo Especial®
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- French Fries
- Whisk flour, baking powder, black pepper, corn starch, and salt in a bowl. Mix to combine completely.
- Dip the zucchini, onions, and mushrooms into the flour mixture to evenly coat. Remove them from the flour and let them rest for a few minutes on a cutting board.
- Pour 12 oz of Modelo Especial® into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth and no longer lumpy. Let beer batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small pot over a medium flame. Allow the oil to get hot.
- While the oil is heating dip your floured vegetables into the beer batter.
- Shake off excess batter and drop into the hot oil. Fry each vegetable on each side until golden and crispy. About 5 minutes each.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain for a minute or two on a paper towel lined plate.
- Mix the beer battered veggies with french fries and serve in a paper bag with a side of ketchup, mustard, and any other condiment you love. You could even squeeze lemon on top.
- Enjoy with an ice cold Modelo Especial®!