I’m a big fan of cherries. They are probably my favorite stone fruit. I only say that with a little hesitation because I’m thinking that statement through, but yeah, cherries are my favorite. I’ve been making cherry desserts since I was thirteen. I’ve made a few here even, my cherry almond mini cakes, chocolate cherry bread pudding, and pecan cherry pancakes. You get my point, I’m a cherry cheerleader.
My family and I are huge pastel de tres leches fans too. We usually brave the line at Portos during special occasions to pick one up. We just love it. Today as I was thinking it might be time to order a delicious tres leches again, I wished it had fresh cherries sprinkled throughout the cake, and soaked in a cherry infused tres leches cream. I’m a practical girl and know the bakery isn’t going to make me my dream cake, so I made it myself. I’m calling it Cherry Tres Leches Cake topped with homemade whipped cream and fresh cherries! HEAVEN ON EARTH…. TRUST!
Ingredients for Cherry Tres Leches Cake:
- 1 cup organic flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh cherries (divided and pitted)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 5 eggs (divided yolk and whites)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 14 oz. can sweetened La Lechera condensed milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- FOR: Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spray a glass 9×13 inch baking dish with non stick baking spray. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt together to combine. Add 1/2 cup of pitted cherries (each cherry cut into 4th) to flour mixture. Set to the side.
- Pour 3/4 cup of sugar into a mixing bowl and egg yolks. Beat on high speed until combined and a the mixture is a pale yellow color. Add milk and vanilla and continue beating until well combined.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour cherry mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until fully combined. Set to the side.
- Add egg whites to an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and whip egg whites on high until they are slightly foamy and about to peak, then drizzle 1/4 sugar over the egg whites while the mixer is still going. Allow to whip until egg whites are still.
- Gently fold egg whites into the cherry egg yolk flour mixture using a rubber spatula until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into 9×13 sprayed baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cake sit in pan for 15 minutes, then flip onto a platter.
- Take a fork and pierce the top of the cake many times making enough punctures for the tres leches cream to seep in.
- In a blender add evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, half and half, and 1/2 cup pitted cherries. Blend until smooth.
- Very slowly pour the cherry tres leches cream on top of the cake. Making sure to get edges of the cake as well as the center. Allow the cake to sit in the cream until almost fully absorbed. There will be a little around the edge of the platter.
- Whipped Cream: In a mixer attached with a whisk, add whipping cream and sugar. Whip on high for 5 minutes until cream is fluffy and thick.
- Once cake is fully cooled top with homemade whipped cream.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining cup of cherries.