Spicy Peanut Sauce Noodles: An great way to make your family swoon.
I’m always thinking of setting the tone through food. There are definite ties to food and moods. When I’m happy and celebratory I want all the comfort food. Feeling my fitness I drink lots of water and eat salads. If want to relax, I drink tea and have a cookie. When I miss my Grandpa (which is often) and want to feel closer to him I eat Mexican food or a sandwich with chips. You get what I’m saying.
Well today I was feeling happy and wanted an extra skip in my step. Kinda like when you have a million hours of sleep under your belt and even though you’re well rested you still want coffee just to elevate the feeling. I was in one of those moods. I thought “This smile needs a bowl of spicy peanut sauce noodles to make the day that much better!”
I got to chopping, and made a spicy peanut sauce while I listened to NPR (they were interviewing Annette Bening). It was a delightful afternoon lost in my own happy world and dinner was even better.
Ingredients For Spicy Peanut Sauce Noodles:
- 12 – ounces linguine
- Olive oil
- 1 – red onion (cut into 1/8 inch slices)
- 1 – red bell pepper (stem/seeds removed and julienned)
- 1 1/2 – cups purple cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 – cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 – cups bean sprouts
- 1/3 – cup hot water (that the pasta boils in)
- 1/2 – cup skippy creamy peanut butter
- 5 – tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 – tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 – tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 – tablespoon chili oil
- 1 – teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 – tablespoons sriracha ( add and extra tablespoon if you like your sauce extra hot)
- 1/4 – cup peanuts (chopped)
- 8 – stalks green onion (white part cut into rounds, green part cut into thin strips)
- 1/4 – teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 2 – limes (juiced)
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and place over a medium high flame. Allow water to come to a boil. Add in linguine and cook al dente according to box. Drain pasta and reserve some water to help make the peanut sauce.
- In a large frying pan or wok add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and allow oil to get hot.
- Fry red onions for 7 minutes stirring often to avoid burning. Add in red bell pepper, purple cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts. Sauté until all veggies are slightly browned. Set to the side and reserve.
- In a large pan over a low flame add in hot water reserved from pasta and peanut butter. Whisk the two together until combined and peanut butter if smooth. Then whisk in soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili oil, ginger, and sriracha until mixture is smooth.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauteed vegetables and mix to combine.
- Pour the peanut sauce over the pasta and toss.
- Garnish the top with peanuts, green onions, sesame seeds.
- Squeeze limes over the top of spicy peanut sauce noodles and serve.