Disclosure: This post is #sponsored by Society Culinaria on behalf of CA Strawberries. All opinions and recipes are 100% my own. California Strawberry Churr
I’m a mom. A mom that tries to satisfy everyone in my family. If you follow me on social media or here on my blog you know my son is a strawberry fanatic. He is extremely picky with the quality of strawberries and will not allow them to pass his lips if they are not red to the stem or even slightly bruised. With this type of inspection going on we have bought strawberries grown around the planet in search of what is ideal to his tastes. He has finally nailed down that he prefers strawberries grown here in his homestate of California.
This is excellent news because I have just been chosen to create a CA strawberry snack in celebration of the #GetSnacking campaign along with 11 other influencers. It is going to be lots of fun with snack recipe ideas some healthy and some naughty, and a few prize giveaways too! I decided to mix one of my favorite Mexican desserts with my son’s favorite fruit for the ultimate snack… California Strawberry Churros!
Did you know? One serving of strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange. YES!!! That should help keep my boy healthy. Studies show eating 8 strawberries at least 3 times a week may help prevent disease and some cancers. All the more reason to celebrate our delicious California Strawberries.
Follow along and join in on the fun by tagging your favorite strawberry snack with the #GetSnacking hashtag!
Ingredients for California Strawberry Churros:
- 6 – cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 – cups water
- 1/4 – cup strawberry puree plus 4 tablespoons (about 15 fresh strawberries smashed with a masher, then strained through a sieve)
- 1/4 – cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 -teaspoon salt
- 2 – tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 – cups flour
- 1/2 – teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 – cup powdered sugar
- Make Dough: In a small saucepan combine water, 1/4 cup strawberry puree, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and coconut oil over a medium flame.
- Bring mixture to a boil and quickly remove from flame.
- Stir in flour with a rubber spatula until mixture forms a ball.
- FRY: Heat oil in a large deep frying pan. Bring the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit using a cooking thermometer.
- Pour the mixture into a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Pipe out strips of dough of desired shape about 4 to 6 inches long in length into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden about 5 minutes depending on how golden you like your churros.
- Remove from oil using a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Optional: Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Roll drained churros in sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Strawberry Glaze: In a small mixing bowl whisk 4 tablespoons strawberry puree and powdered sugar together. The glaze will be slightly thick. Dip the end of each churro into the glaze and let it set for 15 minutes on a cooling rack while you work on the others.
- Serve with fresh strawberries!
- Share your favorite strawberry snack on Instagram with hashtag #GetSnacking.
- Subscribe to the California Strawberries newsletter.Winners are chosen randomly at the end of each month by California Strawberries.