Food On The Go: I got portable deconstructed nachos on my list of things to do this week. My son recently joined a little league baseball team, which in turn means this little mama will be spending way more time at the park. I’m not the biggest fan of the eats at the concession stand so I make sure to pack something that will make me happy while I take in the game. Nachos are my snack of choice and in this case it’s easier to pack them in jar and make long tortilla chips to either dip in or to eat with a fork on the side. Either way theses layered corn chip dippers make the perfect portable deconstructed nachos for a day at the park or for a mountain top picnic.
What I like best about this snack is that I’m able to use fresh ingredients that are more on the healthy side and partner them with corn chips that make you believe this is more of a junk food, when in reality it’s not. I use whole beans instead of refried. Chunks of avocado instead of guacamole. Crumbled queso fresco instead of the usual melted orange cheese. You get the picture. These nachos are better for you but oh sooooo tasty.
Ingredients for Portable Deconstructed Nachos:
- Jars with a lid
- whole cooked pinto beans
- crumbled queso fresco
- avocado chunks
- sour cream or Mexican crema
- black olives
- pickled jalapeños
- pico de gallo
- vegetable oil
- corn tortillas
- Cut corn tortillas in to 1 inch strips.
- In a frying pan over a medium flame add in vegetable oil and allow to get hot.
- Add corn tortilla strips into the oil and fry on each side for 2 minutes or until extra crisp.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Salt strips to your liking. Set to the side.
- Assemble the dip: Start with a clean jar.
- Layer the bottom of the jar with 3 tablespoons of cooked pinto beans
- Crumble in 2 tablespoons of the queso fresco on top of the beans.
- Add half of an avocado cut into chunks on top of the queso fresco.
- Layer 2 tablespoons of olives on top of the avocado chunks.
- Spread a layer of 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream on top of the olives.
- Carefully add a layer of pickled jalapenos on top of the sour cream.
- Generously top with a 1/3 cup of pico de gallo.
- Eat with a fork or dip corn chip strips right into the jar and dig out what you desire!
- YUM!!!! Enjoy.