Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich, you’ve come to rescue me. I’m a sandwich girl, I think it’s part of my DNA. My grandfather was a sandwich guy and all my aunts and uncles go nuts for a good sandwich as well. Since becoming a vegetarian a few years ago a crazy delicious sandwich has been hard to come by until now. We are currently living in the time of the chickpea craze and there are many variations on how to prepare this nutty flavored legume. Some people call mashed chickpea ‘vegetarian tuna’ and others call it hummus-like, I call it my favorite thing since sliced bread. It has hit an all time high for me once I combined chickpea with a variety of my favorite sandwich veggies…. Talk about a match made for the ages. You can easily make a vegan version by the type of mayo you use. Give this insanely perfect sandwich a try, and you won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients for Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich:
- 1 – can chickpeas (16 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup mayo (regular or vegan)
- 1/4 – cup diced pickled jalapeno
- 1/8 – cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 – cup green onion (chopped)
- 1/4 – cup red onion (chopped)
- 1/4 – cup carrot (shredded)
- 1/4 – cup tomato (diced small)
- ¼ – cup dill pickle (diced small)
- Butter lettuce
- Wheat or rye bread
- Mash chickpeas with a fork in a large mixing bowl until coarse and very few whole beans remain.
- Add pickled jalapeno, cilantro, green onion, red onion, carrots, tomato, and pickle to mashed chickpeas. Mix to combine, then add in mayo, and mix again to combine completely. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On a slice of bread smear a little mayo, then top with a few leaves of lettuce. Spread the chickpea salad mixture on top of lettuce.
- On another slice of bread, smear a little more mayo or mustard or both, then top with a few lettuce leaves. Bring the two halves together.
- Cut the sandwich down the middle using a serrated bread knife.
- Serve your spicy chickpea salad sandwich with a salad of fresh baby greens or chips.