It’s easy for me to say that the Hollywood Bowl is my favorite venue in all of Los Angeles to enjoy a performance. It’s one of those places where it really encompasses the energy of the city and allows a spectacular platform for the arts. In addition to it being under the stars and having amazing sound, I LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU CAN BRING IN FOOD and have your very own picnic. Yes, the Hollywood Bowl is my preferred venue to see any show, and I appreciate it the most when I can enjoy it with a mini feast in hand. As you can imagine I am all geared up to go now that the 2017 season line up is here!!!!! I have been planning my picnics and what I’d like to bring along (see my Almond Cherry Crumb Cake recipe below), but more importantly than that I’ve been circling the shows I want to see, from live music to films accompanied by a live orchestra. Say What? All this speaks to my inner child and riles me up.
OH MY WORD…. The Muppets Take The Bowl! I gotta take my boy to see it. Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Great Gonzo, Dr. Teeth, and The Electric Mayhem!!!! Come on that’s all fine and dandy, but the real reason…. ANIMAL the legendary WACKO drummer is going to headline the FIREWORK finale. My son Max is a drummer himself, and will not be able to contain himself seeing Animal live. THIS IS A MUST!!
I can tell you already I want to go see all the films at the bowl with my family: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It’s amazing to see these beloved films with the live orchestra playing the soundtrack along side the movie. It elevates the experience to the next level, one not to be missed for cinema lovers.
Then there are the adult nights that I crave to attend with my girlfriends, eat well, and cheer with a glass of wine…. KCRW’s World Festival: Seu Jorge’s tribute to David Bowie, Blondie, Belle and Sebastian, Bryan Ferry, Garbage, and so many others! It’s gonna be a fun SUMMER for sure.
IF I’M LUCKY, I’LL BE SEEING MY VERY OWN TRUE LOVE PLAYING THAT MAGICAL STAGE BY THE END OF THE YEAR! EeeeeeK! CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!! THEN I’LL REALLY BE CHEERING FROM THE AUDIENCE. <3
For a full list of of the 2017 Hollywood Bowl Summer Season, click here!
Below is my Almond Cherry Crumb Cake that will make it’s way with me to the Hollywood Bowl in a small picnic basket! Enjoy.
Ingredients for Almond Cherry Crumb Cake:
- 680 grams of Cherries (pitted) a little over a pound and a half.
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 2/3 – cup flour
- 1/2 – cup sugar
- 1/2 – teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 – teaspoon sea salt (grounded fine)
- 1/2 – stick butter (melted)
- 1/8 – teaspoon almond extract
- 10 – tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 – cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 – cup buttermilk
- 1 – teaspoon almond extract
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – cup almond flour
- 2 – cups flour
- 1 – teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick baking spray. Set to the side.
- Wash and pit cherries. Set to the side.
- Make the crumb topping by combing flour, sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt in a bowl. Then pour almond extract into butter and pour liquid mixture over dry mixture. Mix with a whisk until crumbly. Set to the side.
- Mix the cake by adding olive oil and sugar to a large mixer bowl and beat on medium high until well incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and add in eggs. Mix to fully combine.
- In a little bowl combine buttermilk, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Then pour buttermilk/extract mixture into olive oil/eggs mixture. Continue to mix on low.
- In a large bowl whisk almond flour, flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Once combined slowly pour the flour mixture into the buttermilk/eggs mixture.
- Mix until dry mixture is fully incorporated with the wet mixture.
- Pour cake batter into prepared spring form pan. With the back of a spatula smooth the top of the cake batter.
- Now Time to Assemble: Carefully place cherries on top of cake batter to form a cherry layer.
- Sprinkle top with crumb topping.
- Bake: for 80 to 85 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in springform pan for 30 minutes, then remove edges of pan to come to room temperature.
- Cut into pieces and take on your Hollywood Bowl picnic!