This whole cake craze started back in March, 2017. My cousin had given me an Amazon gift card as an early birthday present and right away I searched for a 9 inch round, 3 inch tall cake pan. I had been flirting with the idea of making a tall single layer cake but didn’t have the pan to execute it. Once the pan arrived I quickly found an olive oil cake recipe that seemed interesting, except I dreamed of a pistachio buttercream and fresh berry topping. Now that this fantasy (Olive Oil Pistachio Buttercream Berry Cake) was in place, I made it for my actual birthday. A week later I tweaked the recipe and made the cake again for a friend who was going on tour as a ‘good luck’ gesture. Just a few days ago I pulled out my tall round pan for the third time and made my cake for my son’s teacher to celebrate teachers appreciation week. Get this, my Mom just requested it for Mother’s Day!
Not kidding when I say this cake is quickly becoming an all occasion cake. Make this beautiful pastel and you’ll know why.
Ingredients for Olive Oil Cake:
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 – extra light virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 – whole milk
- 1/2 – cup tangerine juice
- Zest of entire orange
- 2 – cups all purpose organic flour
- 1 3/4 – granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 – teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the bottom of 9 inch round, 3 inch tall cake pan with wax paper. Then grease the sides or spray with a non-stick baking spray. Set to the side.
- In a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat eggs and olive oil together on med-high speed until completely combined and a bit thick, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in milk and tangerine juice.
- Once milk and juice are combined mix in orange zest.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, sugar, sea salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for a total of 1 hour (rotating pan at the 30 minute mark, and continue baking for the additional 30 minutes).
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature (about 4 hours) or overnight before removing from pan. I run a thin butterknife along the edge of the inside of the pan for easier unmolding.
- Frost with Pistachio Buttercream (see recipe below) and decorate with fresh berries.
Ingredients for Pistachio Buttercream:
- 1 – cup roasted and unsalted pistachios (grounded – pulverize nuts in food processor to grind)
- 2 – sticks of butter (I use salted)
- 3 1/3 – cups powdered sugar
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – teaspoon almond extract
- 1 – teaspoon sea salt
- 3 – teaspoons 1/2 and 1/2
- OPTIONAL: Green food coloring
- Fresh berries of your choice
- Place shelled pistachios in a food processor fitted with blade. Pulse until nuts are fine and evenly ground. Set to the side.
- In a mixer, cream butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar until butter and sugar become creamy.
- Add in vanilla extract, almond extract, and sea salt until fully incorporated.
- Add in half and half and pistachio grinds and mix until completely incorporated.
- Optional: For the fun green color, dip a toothpick into kelly green icing color then dip the toothpick into buttercream. Mix until all the buttercream is green. Scrape bowl well, and mix one more time.
- Ready to frost.