This is a sponsored post by General Mills Big G Cereal via Acorn Influence. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible.
My Auntie Rosie always made pudding for me and my tribe of cousins growing up. I guess it was something super easy that she could whip up in a matter of minutes and make us kids feel fancy. She would allow for one of us to pour the milk in the bowl while the other whipped with the whisk bringing the pudding to a thick consistency. She would then scoop the pudding into individual bowls and top with cheerios. I have so many memories of this process, and loved that no matter what flavor pudding she made she always told us a story of her days spent as a child. We would all listen with ears open to the many details she poured over recounting the days when my family had very little, but always had big love for one another. We appreciated her unconditional family love and our dessert snack that much more.
This family tradition didn’t come to a stop now that my cousins and I are adults, in fact I still like to whip up a Honey Nut Cheerios Banana Pudding Parfait whenever I retell a story of my youth to my son. I use it as a comfort gateway into a life lesson I want him to hear. These stories really left an impact on me as a child and I hope to build these same type of memories with my boy. He knows an interesting story is coming his way the second he spies me caramelizing bananas.
I put all the various ingredients in bowls and let him build his own parfait using Honey Nut Cheerios, caramelized bananas, and banana pudding. He has started to make this tradition that my aunt passed down to me his own by adding his signature strawberry to the top of his parfait. I love it.
Ingredients for Honey Nut Cheerios Banana Pudding Parfait:
- 1- banana (sliced into 1/2 inch rounds)
- 1/2 – teaspoon butter
- 1 – tablespoon sugar
- 2 – cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- Banana pudding (either buy it already made, or make it yourself according to box instructions)
- optional: strawberry
- Slice banana into rounds. Set to the side.
- In a frying pan over a high flame melt butter to coat pan. Allow to get hot.
- Dip banana slices in sugar, then fry in hot pan. About 2 -3 minutes on each side until crisp and browned. Remove from pan and set to the side.
- Pour 1/4 cup Honey Nut Cheerios into the bottom of each cup (4 cups total).
- Top Honey Nut Cheerios with 1/4 cup banana pudding.
- Then top with another 1/4 cup of Honey Nut Cheerios.
- Layer 1/4 cup banana pudding on top.
- Lastly place caramelized banana on top.
- Garnish with strawberry if you wish.
Find more cereal recipes and inspiration at QueRicaVida.com or on this sweet Dia De Los Ninos pinterest board, or simply follow the hashtags #HoneyNutCheerios #NuestroCereal. You can easily find Honey Nut Cheerios in the cereal aisle at Walmart!