I was really sick last week, and sent my husband to market to pick up some supplies for me… you know the usual sick supplies everyone wants when sickness strikes: tissue, 7-up, flu medicine, and saltine crackers. My illness was so bad I had no appetite for anything except sleep. I never even opened the box of saltines.
Fast forward a few days into coming back to life. I realized I never touched the crackers. I remembered a cracker candy video I had seen over Christmas time, and how bad I wanted to try it then but you know how the holidays are….everything is a whirlwind. In my still partial sick dizziness I thought “Let me turn that christmas candy recipe into a Valentine treat instead.” Within minutes I was making Valentine cracker candy with the crackers I had leftover from when I was sick. Luckily I keep a well stocked pantry and had all the other ingredients on hand. Once it was made… I thought this candy is so crunchy good…. it’s stealing my heart.
Ingredients for Valentine Cracker Candy:
- 2 – packages of saltine crackers ( you may not use them all)
- 1 – cup salted butter
- 1 1/8 – cup brown sugar
- 2 – cups chocolate chips
- 1 – cup candied pecans (chopped)
- 2 – tablespoons Valentine candy sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a non stick cooking or baking spray.
- Line the cookie sheet with saltine crackers. If you have open edges, break up a few to fill in the gap. Set to the side.
- In a sauce pan over a medium flame add butter and allow to melt. Mix in the brown sugar and bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Mixing constantly.
- Pour hot brown sugar mixture over crackers and spread with a rubber spatula to coat crackers evenly.
- Place coated crackers in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips all over the crackers.
- Cover the pan with a large piece of aluminum foil and allow the chocolate chips to soften for 4 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and using a rubber spatula spread the chocolate chips smooth. Covering the entire top of the crackers with chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is spread evenly, sprinkle the top with candied pecans, and valentine sprinkles.
- Cover the candy with a large piece of aluminum foil and place in the freezer for 35 minutes or until chocolate sets firm.
- Remove from freezer and break into pieces using your hands.