One of my best girlfriend’s is a hardcore football fanatic… some people even call her “Football Monique.” Needless to say she’s hosting a party for the big game this year at her place since her team has earned it’s way into the championship. I won’t be surprised if the whole house is decorated in orange, but that’s another story for another time. The real story is Monique became a vegetarian in August and was a bit concerned what she should serve at her party. I told her not to worry, I would bring something for us non-meat eater to chow down on that would rival any other appetizer on the table. I’m a nice friend in that way. Since I was quick to get mouthy I wanted to make sure I could pull it off. I drove over to the market, where I found tons of cute football themed napkins and plates. I also found a beautiful display of cauliflower. Whoa… My head quickly swam back to a few nights prior when I had just devoured a plate of cauliflower nachos at a trendy restaurant in downtown LA. I thought let me try my hand at some cauliflower nachos. I grabbed 3 bags of cauliflower and I roasted them as soon as I walked in the door to prep the white florets for a bigger and better venture… The game day cauliflower nacho platter! A platter to rival all nacho platters far and wide! May the best nachos win… I mean team!
Ingredients for cauliflower nachos:
- 1 bag of corn chips
- 3 – cups refried beans
- 2 – cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 – cups cauliflower
- 1/4 – cup black olives (sliced)
- 1/4 – cup jalapeño (sliced)
- 1/4 – cup tomato (diced)
- 2 – cups monterey jack cheese (grated)
Ingredients for garlic avocado crema:
- 3 – garlic cloves
- 1 – ripe avocado (peel and pit removed)
- 2 – cups Cacique’s Crema Con Sal
- MAKE THE GARLIC AVOCADO CREMA: Add garlic, avocado and crema con sal to a blender. Blend until smooth. Set to the side.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Wash cauliflower. Then spread it out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pour 3/4 of the chips onto a large cookie sheet. Reserve 1/4 of the chips to the side.
- Dollop scoops of beans onto chips.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over beans, and top with remaining 1/4 chips.
- Add roasted cauliflower to the tops of chips.
- Sprinkle cauliflower with black olives, jalapeño slices, diced tomato, and grated monterey jack cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- While nachos are baking, get a large plater and pour half of the garlic avocado crema in the center. Using the back of a spoon spread it on the platter making a base for the nachos.
- Once the nachos are ready, transfer them onto the platter on top of the crema.
- Drizzle top with remaining crema.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
- Expect them to be gone quickly.