It seems all my girlfriends have gone bonkers for football. Or maybe they’ve always been but I’m just starting to notice more. I don’t think they are watching the sport to please their husbands either… from my observation they usually are rooting for a different team or fancy some of the players. It’s interesting either way that more and more women in my world are popping up football. It’s gotten to the point where I will be invited to different girlfriends house on Sunday for a girly brunch/football viewing party. OUT with the menu that is boy driven and IN with the things women love to eat. I have been to a few of these viewing parties now and at first I was surprised by what was served… Green salad, quiche, tea sandwiches, chocolates, cheese and crackers….. Maybe “surprised” is the wrong word to use…let me rephrase that to “pleased.” Recently my gal pal Nancy asked if I would be interested in an all girls football viewing party at her house. I kindly accepted the invitation and started to think of bite size treats on the more girly side.
Ingredients for Cajeta Apple Rosettes:
- non-stick baking spray
- 1 – box of puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 2 – gala apples
- 1/4 – cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 – cup cajeta
- powdered sugar
- Spray a cupcake pan with non-stick baking spray. Set to the side.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Unfold each puff pastry sheet, and roll out to stretch with a rolling pin. Then cut each puff pastry sheet into 6 strips. Set to the side.
- Cut each apple in half and core out the center. Then slice into super thin slices.
- Place apple slices in a bowl filled with water and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
- Place the apple slice water bowl in the microwave for 3 and half minutes.
- Drain apple slices from hot water.
- Place a tablespoon of Cajeta in the center of each strip of puff pastry and spread it evenly across.
- Then take a few apple slices and layer them at the edge of the pastry strip to line the entire edge.
- Take the opposite edge of pastry strip and fold it up towards the apples.
- Then take the end and start to roll it toward the other end, creating a rose.
- Place the rose in the cupcake pan. Continue till you have a dozen roses.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Place on a plate and dust with powdered sugar.