Oh boy, Memorial Day is fast approaching, and you know what that means. Lots of gatherings will take place over the long weekend and people will be migrate to one location where food is plentiful. I am no stranger to these communal potlucks or food huddles and am always trying to decide what will hold up through out the day. I know people will whip up a wide variety of dishes and the burning question is “what will add the right amount of a flavorful bite to my food?”
As I strolled my local Walmart I came across a big bin of red onions, that triggered some delicious pickled onions a friend’s mom had made for me many moons ago. She was from the south of Mexico and pickled her red onions with vinegar, peppercorns, and a bay leaf. Even though I found them insanely delicious, I wished they had a little more of a spicy and citrus punch. I was able to find everything I needed right in the produce section for my flavorful habanero lime spiced onions, and knew I would have the perfect bite this Memorial Day. Enjoy!
Ingredients for habanero lime spiced onions:
- 1 – large red onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 – habanero chile (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 – teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 – cup lime juice
- sea salt to taste
- Slice red onion and habanero chiles as thin as possible. Set to the side.
- Juice 3 to 4 limes, and set to the side.
- Place sliced onion slices and chiles in a small container, and pour lime juice over the top.
- Sprinkle with oregano and salt.
- Allow onions to marinate in lime juice over night.
- Enjoy onions over tacos, your favorite sandwich, or any dish that needs a spicy citrus kick.