I always knew it was the start of meatless meals as a young kid when my grandfather would come home with a black ashy cross smeared on his forehead. In my neighborhood many people observed lent, and my family was no exception. My grandfather used to make tortas de camaron with a side of nopals every Friday. That was part of his lent ritual. I must admit I was never a fan, I think the salt like consistency of the grounded up shrimp was too much for my young mind to wrap around, then as an adult…. it just tasted salty to me. Yet I still enjoy carrying on this tradition of a seafood type cake, so as I got older I started making him tuna cakes. I don’t know if he liked them as much as he enjoys tort as de camaron, but to me this is a way better option.
Last week I was making out my Walmart grocery/shopping list for the next 7 days and knowing we are in the thick of lent, thought I would invite my grandfather over for dinner Friday night. I picked up the phone and told him that I was thinking of making him some tuna cakes, and I was on my way to Walmart to wrangle up all the stuff. He said “Oh you’re going to Walmart right now?” I said “Yeah.” He said “I’ll go with you.” It was a win win. I got to see my grandfather twice in one week.
Ingredients for tuna cakes:
- 2 -cans of tuna packed in water (drained from liquid, and flaked)
- 3/4 – cup red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 – cup black olives (chopped)
- 1/2 – cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 – tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 – egg
- 3 – tablespoons mayo
- 1 – tablespoon mustard
- 1/3 – cup breadcrumbs
- frying oil
- In a large bowl mix tuna, red onions, black olives, mushrooms, sesame seeds, egg, mayo, and mustard together until well combined. Then sprinkle the breadcrumbs in and mix until mixture comes together.
- In a frying pan over a medium flame add a little oil Just enough to coat the pan) and allow to get hot.
- Form 1/4 cup of tuna mixture with your hand into a patty. Then drop into pan.
- Fry on each side until golden crisp.
- Serve with fresh veggies or a light cheese and cream mixture.