“Don’t pinch me…. Don’t pinch me!” On March 16th I go to bed wearing something green so I am never left to circumstance without a glimpse of green on my body once St. Patrick’s Day is alive and well on the 17th. When I was a kid it was my biggest fear to be without a green article of clothing for the fear of being pinched during the Irish celebration. As I got older I just made sure to make everything green that day and I would be in the safety zone. That included my food.
As luck would have it at the end of the rainbow there is a Walmart. My Mom and I shopped for all good things this past weekend and as I cruised the produce section I found on the shelves sitting side by side a group of asparagus getting awfully close to a gang of leeks…. They had paired themselves.
I told my Mom wouldn’t those two greenies make the perfect asparagus leek soup for St. Patrick’s Day…. she responded by saying ” Don’t wonder about it, grab them and make me a bowl tonight.” I did, and we were so happy with the results. I even convinced my son to eat some by telling him this was the soup Yoda ate (he has a serious Star Wars fascination going on). He took one big gulp and gave me the thumbs up, then sat down at the table and ate a bowl. All of a sudden I was feeling lucky!
Ingredients for lucky green asparagus leek soup:
- 4 – tablespoons of butter
- 1 – leek (sliced)
- 1 – bunch of asparagus (cut into 4′s)
- 4 – cloves garlic
- 3 – cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 – crema con sal
- grilled cheese sandwich
- In a large pot over a medium flame add in butter and allow it to melt.
- Add in sliced leeks and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in asparagus and garlic cloves. Saute until asparagus turns bright green for about 5 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Remove from flame and pour into a blender. Add in crema con sal.
- Blend until completely pureed.
- Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich.