I look through cookbooks, cooking magazines, and old recipes all the time in search of something delicious to eat. Sometimes I strike gold and other times not so much. Interesting enough I came across a “baked potato soup” recipe the other day and was shocked when the directions asked for the baked potato to be microwaved before hand. I guess the recipe developer decided to do that as a time saver. I thought I could make a similar soup and just boil the potatoes instead since I don’t use the microwave and still fall under the 30 minute mark. I will make loaded mashed potato cheese soup.
I put my cockiness to the test and ran out to the market to buy all my ingredients. When I returned home I set a timer and and was off like a race horse. I imagine that most families have become accustomed to fighting against the clock when they get home from a long day and want to get their broods fed. I decided to put up my fisticuffs and join the battle of making a meal under 30 minutes. I started by boiling the potatoes until fork tender, then draining them and replacing the liquid with broth and milk. I took a serious smash to those potatoes until they were the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then I dressed the whole thing up with sliced green onion and an ample supply of shredded cheddar cheese. Yes, yes, yes…. it all came together in under 30 minutes and my family named me a the soup VICTOR! I’ll take it with time to spare. Enjoy!
Ingredients for mashed potato cheese soup:
- 1 – lb. potatoes (about 3 peeled and cubed)
- 2 – cups vegetable broth
- 1 – cup milk
- 1 – teaspoon lawry’s seasoning salt
- 2 – cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 2 – green onion sliced, divided
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- In a pot filled halfway with water over a medium high flame, bring to a boil. Add in potatoes.
- Boil potatoes for 12 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain water from potatoes, but leave the potatoes in the pot you boiled them in.
- Once all the water is removed, replace with broth and milk. Cook until liquid is warm. About 3 minutes.
- Carefully smash potatoes with potato masher and add in seasoning salt.
- Stir in cheese and green onions into soup.
- Serve topped with sour cream.