Disclosure: This is part of a sponsored collaboration with the California Milk Processor Board and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
So many things are rolling around in my head right now, as I ask myself what will make me happier in 2015? Life has been terrific lately and a lot of exciting stuff is happening to me and all around me. My family is tight and full of love. Work is plentiful and opening many doors to new paths. My son is growing by leaps and bounds and doing a fantastic job in school. It seems like the little things are having a big effect on me, like eating more family dinners here at home would make me happier. We go out to eat a lot, so it’s really nice when we all eat the same meal in house. My son is a bit picky so coming up with things that he’ll eat can be problematic. He does’t like this and he doesn’t like that. I don’t think he really knows for sure what he likes so why not just sneak the things he doesn’t think he likes into food I know he likes. I started with this creamy potato sausage soup, and it was a huge hit. I made the base with chicken broth and milk. I know milk fuels a better future, so I made sure to work that it into this dish for a creamy velvety texture and in hopes of making it so tasty my boy would ask for it again and again. The potato lent it that touch of comfort we are all looking for and the bacon took it over that top. This soup is happiness in a bowl and when I can enjoy it with my family it is simply divine. Maybe it’s so good it made me want to have more family dinners, because the combo of good food and the closeness of the people I love most in this world is the only happiness I’d ever chase after.
Ingredients for creamy potato sausage soup:
- 1/2 – pound bacon
- 1 – tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 – pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2 – teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 -onion (sliced)
- 2 – teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 – cups chicken broth
- 4 – medium sized russet potatoes (peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 – cup milk
- 1/2 – cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 – cup sliced kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan over a medium flame fry bacon until crisp and fully cooked. Remove bacon from pan, and drain on paper towel lined plate until cooled. Reserve one tablespoon of bacon grease.
- In a large pot over a medium flame, add one tablespoon of bacon grease and allow it to get hot. Add in the ground pork sausage. Cook until browned and still slightly pink.
- Sprinkle chile flakes into sausage, and mix well.
- Add in onion and garlic, mix to combine. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a slight boil.
- Add in potatoes and cook until fork tender about 10 minutes.
- Lower flame and add in bacon. Let simmer for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in milk, and whipping cream. Mix well to combine.
- Add in kale and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.