It was Thanksgiving at my house yesterday. I made all the fixings for a Thanksgiving feast, and invited a few friends over to dive in. I decided to post this recipe out of everything that was made because (1) it’s not on my blog yet, and (2) my friends want to make it for there families this Thanksgiving. Sourdough Chorizo Cherry Stuffing…. It doesn’t get better than that.
Ingredients for Sourdough Chorizo Cherry Stuffing:
- 8 – cups sourdough bread cubes (2 medium loaves cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 18 – oz. Mexican soy chorizo (plastic casing removed)
- 5 – oz. can of black olives sliced
- 1 – onion (chopped into small cubes)
- 7 – stalks of green onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 – cup grated carrots
- 1 – cup julienned sun dried tomatoes (boiled to plump/moisten)
- 1 1/4 – cup dried cherries
- 1/4 – cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 16 – tablespoons butter or Vegan butter
- 1 1/2 – tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 – cups vegetable broth
- 1 – cup shredded parmesan or jack cheese cheese
- 1 – cup salted shelled pistachios
- Cut sourdough loaves into 1 inch cubes, place in a bowl, and allow to sit over night.
- Preheat oven to 373 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place sourdough cubes on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Mixing cubes at the 10 minute mark will prevent them from burning on one side.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add in chorizo and cook for 5 minutes until soy chorizo is crumbly and cooked through. I break the chorizo up with a spatula and mix it the whole cooking time to make sure it is cooked properly. Set to the side.
- In a small pan filled with water bring to a boil and add sundried tomatoes. Boil for 6 to 8 minutes to plump and moisten. Remove from water and drain completely. Set to the side.
- In a giant bowl add in sourdough cubes, chorizo, black olives, onions, chopped green onions, shredded carrot, sundried tomatoes, dried cherries, fresh basil, pistachios and cheese. Mix with your hands until completely incorporated. Set to the side.
- In a frying pan over a medium flame melt butter, once butter melts add in garlic and let cook for 4 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth to the butter garlic mixture and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour butter/garlic broth over stuffing mixture. Mix well to combine, careful because it is hot.
- Place entire mixture into an oven proof baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.