The countdown to the great Fourth of July is on! Exactly a week from now the sky will be showered in spectacular bits of light, a celebration for this amazing country’s independence. I am taking a different approach to the holiday this year…. usually my energy is on fire running around trying to get everything done to be just so. Not this year, I am dreaming of something way more relaxed. Easy, but nice. Simple, but well thought out. Relaxing at home in comfy loose clothing with my flip flops on surrounded by a few of my closest friends, and really tasty food.
When I started to think of the menu, and what I would serve, my head sort of skipped around thinking of all things Americana. I thought about pie, watermelon, french fries, green salad, hamburgers, and hot dogs. Hot dogs get so much respect in my neck of the woods, especially the quintessential downtown Los Angeles bacon wrapped hot dog, there is no other dog that trumps it for me. And just like that I decided I would serve bacon wrapped hot dogs. They are so easy to prepare and take very little effort, but are “ooooohhhhhh sooooooo gooooooooood!” Plus I know I could find all the ingredients I need for my 4th of July Dogs at Walmart…. my one stop shop! Happy Red White and Blue USA…. Here’s to our Independence!
Ingredients for bacon wrapped hotdogs:
- frankfurters aka: wieners
- hot dog buns
- Take a single strip of bacon, and a frankfurter. Wrap the entire frankfurter by starting at the top and working your way to the bottom.
- Ensure closure with a toothpick on both the top of the bacon wrapped frankfurter and the bottom.
- In a frying pan over a medium flame add in bacon wrapped frankfurters. Cook on one side until crisp then turn to the other side.
- Using thongs, carefully pull the toothpicks out of each frankfurter, and continue frying on the sides until the entire frankfurter is cooked.
- Slice open hot dog bun and fill center with bacon wrapped frankfurter.
- Garnish with ketchup, mustard, onion, pickle, mayo.