I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, if not for work, just because I love it. I absolutely adore being in my element creating and tasting…. if the temperature is right. Now that the warm weather is starting to make it’s way into hot Summer and my kitchen doesn’t have air conditioning, I sometimes need a break when I just can’t handle the heat. In those moments I want nothing to do with the oven or stove, but my family still needs to eat. Well I have come up with the perfect solution. Let me roll you back into how this all came to be.
I was shopping in the frozen section of Walmart when I noticed all the Marie Callender’s meals were no longer priced at $2.50, they were now only $2.00. I snatched up a few boxes and thought I’ll pop these in the microwave as a quick meal when the heat becomes unbearable and me and my kitchen need a moment to breath from each other. I thought “Heck, why not make it tonight?” I grabbed a bag of arugula, lemons, and some garlic from the produce section and I was out the door. I giggled to myself all the way home feeling like I got one over on my kitchen.
Ingredients to Mac & Cheese, and Arugula Salad:
- 1 – box of Marie Callender’s Vermont White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 1 – bag of arugula
- 2 – lemons (juiced)
- 1 – clove garlic (minced)
- 1/3 – cup olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- cherry tomatoes (cut into halves)
- Cook mac and cheese according to box in the microwave. From Start to finish about 16 minutes.
- While mac is cooking start making the salad.
- Pour arugula in a large bowl. Set to the side.
- In a cup add lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Whisk until combined.
- Pour dressing over arugula, then toss.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and add in tomotoes.
- Serve mac and cheese and salad together for a perfect summer meal.
- Eat this now!