In just a couple more days the winter games will start in Sochi, Russia. I imagine if I was attending I would there in the middle of blistering cold weather mapping out where all the games would take place. I think maybe I would stumble into a small little restaurant on a side street somewhere hidden craving a traditional Russian dish, and there at the center table would be a team of athletes loading up on carbs. Taking off the many layers of warm clothing, I would walk over to the Olympians to wish them luck on their events, and snoop at what they eat. Of course I envision that they would be eating beef stroganoff, a classic Russian dish packed with pasta and creamy beef and mushroom sauce….
But since Eastern Europe isn’t a hop, skip, and a jump away from Eastern Los Angeles, I guess I’ll have to settle for sunny weather, a homemade bowl of beef stroganoff and the comfort of watching the games from my television set. I’ll make it even more enjoyable for myself…. and get everything I need for this dish at Walmart…. my one stop shop.
Ingredients for beef stroganoff:
- 4 – tablespoons butter
- 1 – pound rib-eye steak (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 -teaspoon Lawry’s
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – onion (sliced)
- 9 – mushrooms (sliced big)
- 1/4 – teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 – tablespoons flour
- 1 – can beef broth
- 1/2 – cup sour cream
- 2 – cups egg noodles (cooked according to package)
- Cut beef into thin slices. Season with Lawry’s and pepper.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the meat to the butter pan. Cook on both side till browned.
- Add in onion. Mix to combine. Cook for 8 minutes or until on onions soften.
- Add in mushrooms. Mix to combine. Cook for 5 minutes just to brown the mushrooms a bit.
- Add in 2 more tablespoons of butter and mix until melted.
- Add in ground mustard and flour. Mix to combine, and all flour is absorbed.
- Add in beef broth and bring to a boil. Then once it starts to boil, lower flame to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add in sour cream and mix to combine. Really stir in the sour cream.
- Pour sauce over cooked egg noodles.