I’ve been thinking of different ways to celebrate Chinese New Year with my family. Usually we go to the parade in China Town in downtown Los Angeles and have a wonderful meal, and at the end of the evening we pass out little red envelopes filled with lucky 2 dollar bills and some coins. I decorate my patio in red lanterns and adorn the room with a big dragon and the animal of the year….. which is the horse for 2014.
This year since it falls on a Friday evening (January 31st) I decided to skip on the parade and have friends over for dinner instead. I wasn’t sure what to make for the celebration, so I pulled some inspiration from the ingredients I found while shopping at my local Walmart. I got noodles, ginger, boy choy and sausage. Then I got home and got to work. I always do a test run on the recipe I’ll serve to my friends…. this one was sensational! Happy Chinese New Year Everyone!
Ingredients for spicy sausage bok choy noodle soup:
- 1 – pound ground pork ( I use Jimmy Dean)
- 1/4 – cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 – teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon chile flakes
- 2 – garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 – teaspoons finely grated ginger ( I use Melissa’s Produce)
- 1 – teaspoon corn starch
- 1 – tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 – teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 – tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 – cup chicken broth
- 2 – heads boy choy
- 1 – package egg noodles
- In a big bowl combine gound pork, green onion, garlic powder, chile flakes, minced garlic, grated ginger, corn starch, soy sauce, black pepper, and sesame seeds. Mix with both hands.
- In a pot over a medium high flame add vegetable oil and allow to get hot. Add in mixed pork.
- Cook for about 10 minutes browning the pork and breaking it up into chunks with the back of a spatula.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in the boy choy and allow it to cook another 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot filled with water over a high flame, bring to a boil and add in egg noodles. Cook as directed on package. Drain and set to the side.
- Place noodles at the bottom of a serving bowl then laddle in sausage and boy choy soup mixture.
- EAT THIS NOW! Happy New Year!